ZERO GAS MILEAGE NEED HELP

04superduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute... Banks doesn't reprogram anything... it's just an add on plugged into the ECU.

Do you have the module in there or not? Otherwise I think you got screwed and you need to contact your lawyer if you haven't already. He's claiming the truck is programmed with banks stuff but he didn't give you the programmer? Somethin' ain't right... :confused:

I bought it from the dealership, and they didnt know what was done to it, the only reason i think its got a banks programmer is b/c its a lot faster than my friends deisels and in the owners manual it had a bunch of decals to put on the outside of the truck that said banks power.

04superduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Forget the gauge........you not getting an acurate reading from it.

Fill it up the truck, reset the trip meter and refill every 300 miles. Check your milage with pencil and paper.

Tbar

I fill the tank all the way up, and reset the trip meter every time, i make it about 225-200

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to unplug the Banks and pull the pos. on both batterys at the same time, meaning both batterys need to undone for a min. or so. This way the ECU will go back to stock and clear any and all codes. Also get you a can of MAF cleaner and clean the MAF on the air intake. I cleaned mine and my mpg took a big jump, I went from 12.2 to 18.6 mpg and yes I checked it 3 times on 3 trips.

04superduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
And how many gals are you putting in after 200-225 mile???

Tbar

24-26 gallons, There is no programmer to pull out that i know of, that i can see at least. ya it sucks, im spending like 240 a week on just fuel. Any good diesel mechanics in the chicago land area that could maybe look at it? :dunno

Last edited:

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
If you have a Banks six gun or otherwise, it is a module that is directly connected to the computer, in line with the factory ecu harness, you should be able to see it on the drivers side under the hood, the most common mounting place for them, is on the fuse block cover right behind the battery.

Banks has NEVER made a programmer for the 6.0, only plug in type modules, such as the sixgun, which is what I have.

You might very likely have a programmer on there, but it's not banks.

Just unplugging the batteries will clear DTC codes, but not return to a factroy program on the ECU, you'll proabably have to take it to FORD and get it reflashed.

You should look deeper though, as most programmers and modules will increase your fuel mileage, if you keep your foot out of it.

dpantazis

Reaction score
04superduty-

depends on where in Chicago you are. Walsh's trucks on the south side is rumored to be good, and Ziggy's on the north side. There is a garage on Huron & Milwaukee that I know runs modded PSD's, but I do not have any experience with them.

PM nevrnf, he might know of someone you can get together with.

most decent dealers around here will yank all aftermarket stuff and detail off the stickers to return the truck to 'stock' because they don;t want to have post-sale issues.

if you have 19k on it, and its an 04, you are probably under warranty. why not take it to a stealership and see what they say?

feel free to PM me as i am local.

dennis

Last edited:

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to unplug the Banks and pull the pos. on both batterys at the same time, meaning both batterys need to undone for a min. or so. This way the ECU will go back to stock and clear any and all codes. Also get you a can of MAF cleaner and clean the MAF on the air intake. I cleaned mine and my mpg took a big jump, I went from 12.2 to 18.6 mpg and yes I checked it 3 times on 3 trips.

What air cleaner are you running? Stock?

04superduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
04superduty-

depends on where in Chicago you are. Walsh's trucks on the south side is rumored to be good, and Ziggy's on the north side. There is a garage on Huron & Milwaukee that I know runs modded PSD's, but I do not have any experience with them.

PM nevrnf, he might know of someone you can get together with.

most decent dealers around here will yank all aftermarket stuff and detail off the stickers to return the truck to 'stock' because they don;t want to have post-sale issues.

if you have 19k on it, and its an 04, you are probably under warranty. why not take it to a stealership and see what they say?

feel free to PM me as i am local.

dennis

Ya the first time i went to the ford by my house, the guy had a stick up his ass and wanted to search the ECU just to void my warranty... maybe ill try a different place in town and see if they are a little more mod friendly, i am in st. charles.

04superduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What air cleaner are you running? Stock?

I honestly dont know, i know nothing about diesels maybe after work i will pop the hood and try to figure more out. ill keep you updated and post pics. There is a hole right infront of the fuse box where it looks like the previous owner mounted mounted something...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64