"03 6.0 won't start

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
did you cycle the key 3-5 times BEFORE cranking it over? to put fuel into filters

could have possible air lock....would have to open drain valve til fluid comes out then do the key cycle....

best advice i can give, maybe someone else will have a better id ear!!!! good luck

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was it running BEFORE you changed the fuel filters ?
did something prompt you to change the filters ?

walter.dreyer

Flashover
Reaction score
The truck was running earlier today, I started it on the auto start, and went outside when it suddenly died. I tried to restart it several times, and the first few times it would fire and immediately die. I was thinking I had seen gas engines do this before, so lets change the fuel filters.

Yes, I cycled it a few times. I didn't count how many but I'm sure it had to be at least 10 times by now.I was thinking the same thing. In fact it has gotten to the point that I heard the pumps? bog down a bit as they built up pressure. Even though the owners manual said nothing about cycling the key. I just thought it made good sense.

As for opening the drain plug, I took it off first before changing the filter, to release any potential pressure. I had fuel leaking out the whole time. Tank has better than 3/4 in it. The plug was the last thing I put back in.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it cold enough (where you are) that you could be suffering
from fuel gel ?

only other thing id say there could be other issues, ICP, IPR, HPOP...
seems to me if it ran and died its more an indication of fuel gel or
fuel delivery issue of some kind.

walter.dreyer

Flashover
Reaction score
its about 32 degrees here today, but when I filled up the other day, I added powerservice cetane boost, antigel and fuel system cleaner. Not to mention the fuel was bought locally,(should be treated?) and the truck was fully warmed and running fine less than an hour before

Bush if you would? please define all those acronyms for me. I have always done all my own maintenance,including rebuilding a few engines and trannys in my day.But the diesel world is all new to me. Also how would I go about testing each of those items.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doesnt sound to me, based on your temps, that gel'ing would be
an issue...as for all the acronyms (sensors etc) its
probably easier to read about them in the 6.0L Bible

scroll down to the ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS section theyre listed
there by acronym and include functional overviews.

Last edited:

atk

Reaction score
it is possible it could have something to do with your auto start....is there anyway you can disarm/bypass your auto start and see what happens...just an idea, hope this helps....

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
it is possible it could have something to do with your auto start....is there anyway you can disarm/bypass your auto start and see what happens...just an idea, hope this helps....

aaahhh yes my good man. i have heard of instances where something somewhere goes haywire w/ the remote starts. try looking at that...

good thinking atk

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58