10.9 is getting old.

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just so you know I don't hate the Ford, just got back from a trip to Alabama.
Running 76mph to 80mph the truck averaged 15 mpg for 1800 miles. The most impressive part was when I filled up in Northern Alabama at a Shell station. That tank went 16.7 mpg running 80 mile an hour for 368 miles. Shell must have good Diesel. It was nearly 2 mpg more than any other brand(B.P., Flying J and a couple others). Now if I could just find the right kit to delete the DPF chamber, I might actually be a happy Ford owner.

So what did you do to the truck to get 5mpg better?

muddobber

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just miles I guess. That was all Interstate driving, the 10.9 is running around home with short trips in the Winter. 12 is more normal in Summer. Truck has nearly 20K now.

yukondiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just turned over 350 miles on the truck and the DIC (I LOVE THAT TERM!) is showing an average (since new) of 11.8 and increasing regularly. As long as its going up, my real MPG is better than the computer indicates. My first tank showed 11.006 MPG (calculated) versus 11.2 on the dashboard...not SO bad and getting better

Last edited:

torqlvr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Wow! I was thinking of trading for a Super Duty next time I trade because I love the looks of them. But after reading these posts, I'll stick with my '05 Dodge Cummins. I get 19.6 around town and 23 -24 mpg on the highway. I tow a 27 ft
5th wheel with it and get 13 -15 when towing. I didn't realize that the new emissions stuff hurt the new diesels that bad. Someone mentioned buying a Toy Tacoma for mileage purposes. My brother has one. I get almost the same mileage in my '05 Dodge Cummins as he does in his Toy and I have three times the truck! And, by the way, I've always liked Fords. I've had many of them. When I went looking in '05 for a diesel to pull my camper, I was set to buy a Ford until I talked to the son of a close friend. He just finished diesel mechanics training and he warned me not to buy a Ford because of the 6.0L Powerstroke. He said they were extremely troublesome. He recommended the Dodge/Cummins and I've never regretted it. The Dodge has never been back to the dealer for any reason. Zero problems and great fuel mileage. I do love the looks of the new Super Dutys though and I thought that maybe the new 6.4 would be a better engine. And maybe it is - too soon to tell probably. But I can't stand 9 - 12 mpg! I'll keep my Dodge, thanks.

laketime

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I ordered the spartan tuner and delete pipe for my 08 f250. I will let you guys know the results when it is installed and tested. I just ordered it yesterday, so it may be a week before I get it and install them on the truck.:sweet

08KINGRANCHF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a 300 mile trip and averaged 18 mpg @ 70 mph turning just under 2000 rpm (not towing). When I tried it at 75 to 80 turning a little over 2000 rpm it dropped to 14 mpg. My truck is new with only 2500 miles on it so this should improve in time. Im very happy with 18 mpg after reading some of the post ya'll have left. I would like to mention that I use Diesel Kleen with every tank. It seems to help with the mileage and I think the engine is quieter with this additive. With the windows up you have to really listen to hear the engine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64