7.3 PSD wont start

blueox

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yup it has a brand spanking new ipr put in today right behind the new cps.Its had a rough idle for the last couple of years so we figured it to put in those 2 things to try to find the problem anyhow.Its always cranked and ran pretty good otherwise and its never had any kind of problems with any of this stuff.Its only has 138,000 miles on it but its a severe duty truck(forestry) so it has seen offroad more than onroad.
Anyhow ive researched the net pretty hard the past 2 days to come up with what i have so far.From what we can tell its either not getting fuel or electronically it wont let it fire.Any way to test the cpm or idm without a code scanner?
This thing has got us baffled pretty good and we're used to troubleshooting/fixing things all the time.

Thanks for the welcome.This site has helped me enormously already!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
If youre getting RPM's registering on the tach I'm going to say your CPS is good, and there is no real acid test for a CPS. Do you have a CEL (check engine light) illuminated? You really need to get the codes pulled to narrow down the search here. I'm still leaning towards the IDM. Possibly UVC injector harness but I find it improbable that you would lose both harnesses at once. I'll also toss out a vote for a bad PCM as well.

blueox

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No Cel illuminated. Tach works when batteries are charged good but after a little ext cranking it dont take much for it not to move no more.Ive got the batteries disconnected right now and on charge.Gotta have this thing going for Mon morning.Guess i know how my Sunday will pan out! Gonna go some rounds with it today and if i stll dont find anything guess it'll have to be taken to a dealership to find the codes.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Tach works when batteries are charged good but after a little ext cranking it dont take much for it not to move no more.

Hummm.........

Tbar

blueox

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It still turns over pretty good.Good enough it always cranked in the past.But it still wouldnt explain why itquit in the first place.It started just like any other morning and then just plain died like i shut off the key switch but when i tried to start it back it hit like twice like it was gonna try to start back up but didnt. Like it ran out of fuel but tank is completely full of fuel.

A question on checking the fuel pressure @ the regulator. Im using a tire air guage to check pressure as it spins over.I just went out to check it and wandered if it should have over 60lbs of pressure on just one revolution of the engine or should it take 3 or more revolutions of starting to build the pressure to 60 psi or above?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
jvencius said:
Perhaps a pair of worn-out batteries?

Very perhaps, when was the last time batts were changed in this vehicle? Bad batts will cause a myriad of very strange problems in our rigs.

blueox

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
LOL one is from 2004 the other is newer but not sure it doesnt have the date tag on it (motorcraft battery). Batteries charged full while its still on the jumper it still would look like it would crank,start run. No telling with all the crazy electronic junk on these motors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14