7.3 PSD wont start

blueox

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Not that i didnt trust you Stroker but we called the dealership and they said we could return it for the right one. We did and it still didnt start.You were right on the money.

I think were gonna tow it into our shop tomorrow and try to figure it out.If that doesnt work we found a local shop that is supposed to be good on the PSD. It'll probaly cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions as it helped us troubleshoot this far.
Thanks to Johnswiftm for the offer of coming to scan it for me.

AWESOME FORUM!!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
blue,

Its best to have the correct CPS to avoid a corrosion issue at the terminals due to the dissimilar metalurgy. Any word yet on testing (swapping) PCM and or IDM's?

blueox

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I found some info on testing the harness from the idm back to the injectors and they tested 3.0 to 3.5 ohms a piece. Seems to be good to there. Seems to me the only it could be that is left is the idm or pcm.Its a awful big price for a guess.Dont know anyone with a psd that would be willing to swap out theres to help me so we're kinda stuck at this point.

We also decided to pull off the truck to see if maybe the batteries or starter was pulling too much power and not letting it start.Still no go.

Trying to rule out all possibilities before dropping the cash on a idm.Dealership here wants 800.00 new for a idm WITH a business discount.....LOL guess they'll be keeping theres!!

Is a scan tool the only way known to troubleshoot that a idm isnt working??

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am sure someone who rebuilds the IDM has a computer hookup that replaces the scan tool, but it is also a scan tool.

Dave

BubbaNtx

BubbaNtx
Reaction score
Hey guys got the same Problem with my buddies 97 7.3 we have been pulling our hair out with this one. tried a scanner scans every vehilce we had there including my 04 Harley 6.0 and a jeep and a chevy and gmc hd so we thought it was the ECM replaced nothing. still no glow pulg relay or fuel so something is shutting it down.. tried the high pressure oil res full. dont want to sound dumb but what is the Idm is it the module hanging on the drivers side fender. Any help would be greatly apreciated BUBBANTX

blueox

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Module is the rectangle aluminum looking box on the drivers side fender under the hood.

Sounds like you have maybe a blown fuse or bad gp relay?

ive got :
wst light
gpr works fine
battery/starter fine
cps new
ips new
no blown fuses
swapped relays
fuel pressure @ 60/lb
fuel housing full of fuel
no cel
tested injector harness from idm to injecters

i think i listed all we done.Been so much its getting hard to remember.

BubbaNtx

BubbaNtx
Reaction score
Checked all the fuses and Relays worked for Ford for years so I have a bounty of the relays, Left Ford in 96 decided I wanted to work on Air planes. been away to long I see Now

elginitis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
do you know anybody else that you can start swaping parts with. without a scanner it will be a trail and error.

BubbaNtx

BubbaNtx
Reaction score
No all of Us have newer trucks so No swapping, He is going to bite the bullet , we towed it to Ford. I will let everyone know what they find, so Hopefuly know one else has to give anymore money to Ford. Bubbantx

blueox

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
We we had to give Ford some money today.Bought a new IDM and IT RUNS!~! :thumbs

YAY!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg