96 F350 Died on highway

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
JOAT said:
I hope so. This is actually what my original suspicion was based on the symptoms, (see post 13) but then AE readings seemed to show oil pressure. Typically you can back off the poppet screw and get it to start. KD, what all tests did he have you do? (nothing against Bean, just curious)

JDB, the blue cps is still in. Didn't seem to change anything that I could tell without sophisticated equipment. Only possible advantage I may see is longer life, assuming the stronger magnet makes a difference.:dunno

Well I haven't been online for a couple days look what I missed.
JOAT- I tried to look at the oil flow from injectors with my son cranking, I didn't want him to crank very long and didn't see much oil at all from any injectors. Was not sure where I was suppose to look either, Now I know, from the scuppers. ( yes It was your original suspi
I pulled the injector to look at the o-rings and Called Bean to figure out why it was week in the Buzz test, I had no idea that it could be my no start problem, I thought I was my intermittent rough idle problem.
Bean had me check the poppet clearence, yes as 82Ford said it was .0125 which was WAY too much. Bean said send it in and they would clean it out. I already had it out of the engine so that is probably why Bean didn't suggest backing of the screw and turning it over.

The AE program gives you actual, and limits. I found where to display a little to late. Funny thing is at one point it did show pressure during a long crank, but not enought to open the injectors. That is what 82 ford and I saw last week.

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
johndeerebones said:
Didn't have any poppet seat clearance? Did he have you measure the clearance between the armature and adapter? If it was too small I would measure the others too, if ones worn out the others probably are too. How many miles are on the truck anyway? I just did my injectors and all mine had .0035 clearance. A new injector only has .0040, so mine had hardly any wear at 110000 miles.

I only have around 19000 miles on these injectors. They are Beans Stage 1's

poppet clearence was .0125

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
goldhilljoe said:
THIS is a great place:thumbs ,what a learning experience and not even getting my hands dirty. Sure hope KD gets the problem solved and best of luck to him-I wish I had his patience.
What has happened to him is my BIGGEST fear while out of town on the road.
With the old IDI you could figure the problem out but now..........
Good luck KD and hang in there:thumbs
I agree a Great place with Great people, and I could not have been more pleased with the help I have been given on this, It is better if some of the experienced people lived closer, but 82ford was a great helping hand :thanks

Patience :roflmao well more frustration, and the stubbornness of refusing to take it somewhere else, I believe when you have the ability to work on your own stuff and have the tools to do the job there isn't anything that they could do that I can't. I think the dealership would have been throwing a lot more parts at this then I have, and now I have a couple of spare parts for troubleshooting and helping others.

I look at this forum and this experience as a Tranning or Learning experience. And somewhere down the road this WILL happen to someone else and I may be able to help like the one's that helped me.

Stick with the forum. Hopefully this Post will be retired after I get the injector back. :thumbs

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
KansasDiesel said:
Bean had me check the poppet clearence, yes as 82Ford said it was .0125 which was WAY too much. Bean said send it in and they would clean it out. I already had it out of the engine so that is probably why Bean didn't suggest backing of the screw and turning it over.

Be interesting to see what caused it to stick open. I've noticed a few of these a year on the forums but never hear back why.
Being stuck open loosening the Poppet screw wouldn't have helped. You'd have to take it apart to see what happened.

BTW, it's pretty easy to take the poppet out. After the solenoid is off, take of the armature plate, then the 4 linehead screws, and it comes right out.

105.jpg

Last edited:

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
IT's Over !!

Waiting on the Highway 2 hours for a tow truck.:oops:

Replacing the CPS $125:oops:

Replacing the IDM $280:oops:

2 1/2 weeks of tearing the truck apart and troubleshooting:oops:

Removing the injector for a rough idle:oops:

Repairing the injector $130 w/ next day shipping both ways:oops:

Half a day off work (sick time) Sick of not having the truck running:D

Hearing the rummble of the Diesel engine start...... PRICELESS :thumbs

:thanks :thanks :thanks :thanks :thanks

Yes she is running like a top, well except for my next post.. Seems that on the test run or during the last 2 weeks it started leaking oil :( again. This time looks to be coming from behind the turbo.:(

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
johndeerebones said:
Do you mean .0012? .012 isn't possible, new injectors only have .004

yep .0125 I think that is why Bean said send it to him. In close position I believe Bean said it should be between .002 and .004 I knew when I took the selonoid off that the gap was more then .004 I started with a .010 feeler gauge and ended with the .012 feeler gauge.

I asked them what they found, all they said was some trash. But it was keeping the poppet open.

Good thing though, I asked them to look over the injector real good because I run WVO, They said it looked new, said whatever my proceedure is to keep doing it 'cause it isn't effecting the injectors. :thumbs

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Glad ya got her!
I had the same thing, right after reassembling the engine it just quit. A little reasearch and I found which injector it was, pulled it tore it apart and found nothing. Put it back together and she fired right up and been running ever since. I guess not matter how hard you try clean aint good enough.
Funny thing is, it was the first real snow of the season and as soon as I dropped the plow and went 50 ft it quit! 10" of snow sub zero and 30 mile hr winds. Yea it sat there for three days until I got it towed home!
Rick H...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58