96 F350 Died on highway

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Yep, or something really wierd thats being missed.

FWIW, poking thru the diag manual, the ICP pressure should not go above 0 until it detects a CPS signal, so logically the PCM IPR circuit/controls are working.

I'll poke thru the manual later (after honeydo's) and see if I can get any more specific diag steps.

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
where to go

Yes as 82 Ford said IDM didn't work.

Right now I have the PCM torn out of the truck the engine harness disconnected from every possible place and ringing wires. Cleaning grounds, etc..

Strange thing. The PCM has an oily like substance on the plug and outside of the box, and some on the inside. Can not find the source of the fluid. I am pursueing this right at the moment, Got to go to town and find some PC board cleaner. The closest store would be 40 mins away. The PC board shows NO signs of heat or burnt parts.

The Bad thing is I know it is something so simple I am missing it.

The Good thing is I now have a spare CPS and IDM...

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
JOAT said:
:( I was afraid that would be the case...

I was hoping that it was the IDM but had been warned that it might be the PCM. I read a case on another forum, simular case, his was the IDM. I am not that fortunate.

Got to head to town and find some cleaner...

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
JOAT said:
Yep, or something really wierd thats being missed.

FWIW, poking thru the diag manual, the ICP pressure should not go above 0 until it detects a CPS signal, so logically the PCM IPR circuit/controls are working.

I'll poke thru the manual later (after honeydo's) and see if I can get any more specific diag steps.

If the tach is moving the CPS is funtional, correct? So I should have oil pressure at this point, enough to control the injectors. Which should be 500psi, correct?

I connect the computer with the AE program, tried cranking again with checking the pressure of the HPOP, got zero this time when cranking, ( I had made sure the HPOP was full of oil )
Removed the IPR, disassembled and cleaned, I have to get new o-rings to reinstall it.

If anyone knows this system and would talk to me PM me and I will call you. Or if you want my number PM me.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Well thats odd. Your AE showed you had pressure before. I'd pick up a cheap 5000 psi gauge and get a hose shop to set you up with fittings, just to be sure. I have a known good IPR I can send out if you want it to test. Just pulled it from my truck. It sticks a tad about once a year but has been otherwise working fine over 110k miles

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
I have HOPE !

Last night I pulled the one injector that Buzzed weak.

Talked to Bean at Beans Diesel Performance, Asked about the weak injector and started to explain my No Start problem.
He had me check a measurement and I was not within tolerance. Bean also said that this would prevent the oil from making pressure.
Will ship it out today and get it back hopefully Friday. I HOPE it works.

Thanks Bean:thanks

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
KansasDiesel said:
Last night I pulled the one injector that Buzzed weak.

Talked to Bean at Beans Diesel Performance, Asked about the weak injector and started to explain my No Start problem.
He had me check a measurement and I was not within tolerance. Bean also said that this would prevent the oil from making pressure.
Will ship it out today and get it back hopefully Friday. I HOPE it works.

Thanks Bean:thanks

I'm glad Bean was help and I'm sorry I don't have the knowledge to help more. I would really really like this thread to go away and have you back on the road. Hopefully this will do the trick.

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
I'm glad Bean was help and I'm sorry I don't have the knowledge to help more. I would really really like this thread to go away and have you back on the road. Hopefully this will do the trick.

I really want this thread to go away too.....

If this fixes the problem, Great. This has been a great learning experience for me on the AE program and the starting proceedures ( what has to happen ) on the PSD.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14