96 F350 Died on highway

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
KansasDiesel said:
Last night I pulled the one injector that Buzzed weak.

Talked to Bean at Beans Diesel Performance, Asked about the weak injector and started to explain my No Start problem.
He had me check a measurement and I was not within tolerance. Bean also said that this would prevent the oil from making pressure.
Will ship it out today and get it back hopefully Friday. I HOPE it works.

Thanks Bean:thanks

Didn't have any poppet seat clearance? Did he have you measure the clearance between the armature and adapter? If it was too small I would measure the others too, if ones worn out the others probably are too. How many miles are on the truck anyway? I just did my injectors and all mine had .0035 clearance. A new injector only has .0040, so mine had hardly any wear at 110000 miles.

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Am Real interested in how this comes out. Remembering back to the first post, hesitated & died. Shut off like a switch. I have limited experience with P.S.'s but why would one injector keep it from running, much less make it stop running. If the injector is damaged you should be able to tell one way or another.Also if the fuel pressure is low because of one injector, it would seem to me that fuel is going somewhere unrestricted. Are you making oil in the crankcase?

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
action4478 said:
I Am Real interested in how this comes out. Remembering back to the first post, hesitated & died. Shut off like a switch. I have limited experience with P.S.'s but why would one injector keep it from running, much less make it stop running. If the injector is damaged you should be able to tell one way or another.Also if the fuel pressure is low because of one injector, it would seem to me that fuel is going somewhere unrestricted. Are you making oil in the crankcase?

Not fuel pressure, high pressure oil. If the poppet valve in the injector is stuck open, high pressure oil can go straight back to sump, a much easier path than pushing the fuel through the barrel. He said his fuel pressure is fine.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Wish I'd caught this earlier. You can tell if this is the problem by watching the injector while cranking. THe oil will pour out the spout of that one injector. Did you pull it already? If not give me a call

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
JOAT said:
Wish I'd caught this earlier. You can tell if this is the problem by watching the injector while cranking. THe oil will pour out the spout of that one injector. Did you pull it already?

Don, not attacking you in any way, but surely if he was talking to BEAN he checked this. This is one of the first things BEAN and I talked about when I couldn't get my truck running a few years ago and called him on the phone, even before BDP existed.

By the way, are you still running that blue CPS? What's the pro's consinsus(sp?) on that thing anyway? Still thinking it advances timing or does it retard it?

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
I hope so. This is actually what my original suspicion was based on the symptoms, (see post 13) but then AE readings seemed to show oil pressure. Typically you can back off the poppet screw and get it to start. KD, what all tests did he have you do? (nothing against Bean, just curious)

JDB, the blue cps is still in. Didn't seem to change anything that I could tell without sophisticated equipment. Only possible advantage I may see is longer life, assuming the stronger magnet makes a difference.:dunno

Last edited:

82FordTruck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
JOAT said:
I hope so. This is actually what my original suspicion was based on the symptoms, (see post 13) but then AE readings seemed to show oil pressure. Typically you can back off the poppet screw and get it to start. KD, what all tests did he have you do? (nothing against Bean, just curious)

JDB, the blue cps is still in. Didn't seem to change anything that I could tell without sophisticated equipment. Only possible advantage I may see is longer life, assuming the stronger magnet makes a difference.:dunno

We did have oil pressure at the beginning....

I'm still confused about that, but since he didn't know the AE program very well, I am wondering if his units were mixed up or something like that. Also, his batteries are only marginal. I think he needs a new set of batteries after this whole thing too. Maybe there were two problems.

I didn't see this thing. KD said that the clearance was approx .0125. Bean told him that it was stuck open, allowing oil to flow right back into the crankcase. I wasn't there, so it was ahrd for him to test a lot of these thigns without an extra person to crank the engine over. I'm very curious to see if the issue was in the oil or in the fuel (he runs veggie).

I don't think bean had him back off the poppet screw and start it. I don't think that thing's been started in a few weeks.

82FordTruck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
JOAT said:
Wish I'd caught this earlier. You can tell if this is the problem by watching the injector while cranking. THe oil will pour out the spout of that one injector. Did you pull it already? If not give me a call

Bean has it today, so it's already been pulled.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Bean has it today, so it's already been pulled
Ok, thanks.

I'm very curious to see if the issue was in the oil or in the fuel (he runs veggie).
Veggie wouldn't affect the poppet (unless it was diluting the engine oil excessively). The Poppet never touches the fuel side at all.

We did have oil pressure at the beginning....
I'm still confused about that, but since he didn't know the AE program very well, I am wondering if his units were mixed up or something like that
I was wondering that too. The EASE shows pressure on mine, but in reality it is only showing desired pressure, not actual. Thats why I wanted him to get a real gauge on it, to be sure. These Scantools are nice but don't give direct readings, only interpretations of what the PCM reports.

Guess we'll wait and see what Bean finds...

-popcorn -popcorn

goldhilljoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THIS is a great place:thumbs ,what a learning experience and not even getting my hands dirty. Sure hope KD gets the problem solved and best of luck to him-I wish I had his patience.
What has happened to him is my BIGGEST fear while out of town on the road.
With the old IDI you could figure the problem out but now..........
Good luck KD and hang in there:thumbs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58