AC Shore Power Plug For Block Heater

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Nice job Beechbum, that's one of my next projects, although I don't plug in very often, here in Atlanta it doesn't get as cold as it used to but still......

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:
BRRRR BB !!!!
Hope you were inside working on it today ! :)

We're having TOUGH conditions here in the DFW area today !
I slid around our last corner getting home in the Ex tonight !
no MORE than 25 degrees and blowing and misting :)

Yeee UCK !!! :)

Was inside a friends heated garage as it was 10F - 16F here in Kansas City on Saturday... brrrrrrr......

Hope this mod or photos hels someone else.

Jeff

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Beachbumcook said:
Was inside a friends heated garage as it was 10F - 16F here in Kansas City on Saturday... brrrrrrr......

Hope this mod or photos hels someone else.

Jeff

That's where I'm looking at installing mine, except up in the bumper. I'd like the "pull out protection" in case I forget to unplug it.

I've got mine all wired up and ready to go....just waiting on some warmer weather or a new friend with a heated garage. :D

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
That's where I'm looking at installing mine, except up in the bumper. I'd like the "pull out protection" in case I forget to unplug it.

I've got mine all wired up and ready to go....just waiting on some warmer weather or a new friend with a heated garage. :D

I did not want to cut up into the bumper due to cost if I make a mistake and that my bumper is not black,but the color of my truck. Was not sure what was behind the bumper or not. By placing in the black air-dam, you don't see it and its lower on the vehicle. Its on the left side for easier driver viewing and reach. I had unimpeeded access to both sides and could do it myself.

Good luck,

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:

I've got my marinco plug mounted in the bumper and I like it there--it seems more secure and easier to make a firm connection than mounting it in the air dam. It doesn't look too unobtrusive, although if I were to do it again, I might think about mounting it over towards the driver's side of the tow hook opening.

On edit--I thought about mounting it in the end of the bumper, but decided against that option since having it opening towards the front keeps the cover in place whilst (I like using that word) driving, whereas if I had the connector in the end of the bumper, if I didn't have the plug in securely, it could go flapping about as I drove down the road and that wouldn't be good.

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question....

How does anyone really know if their block heater is working? With no light and now way to see or tell... how do know that the heating element or cord is working?

My truck has always started since I use synthetic oil and fuel conditioner. The only way would be to leave it outside overnight plugged in and see if it starts any different. My garage stays between 32 - 40F most of the time.

How quickly will the temp gauge on our trucks move up to "normal" after being plugged in all night... at least I would know the coolant was warmer/hotter than without it (hence it is working).

How warm does the heater warm up the coolant?

Last edited:

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Buy a cord from somewhere that has a lit end. That way you know there is power to the block heater. The way you know the block heater is working is the heater should work right away and the temp gauge should rise when the key is turned to the on position.:thumbs Glad to be back Bryan

Last edited:

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Beachbumcook said:
Quick question....

How does anyone really know if their block heater is working? With no light and now way to see or tell... how do know that the heating element or cord is working?

My truck has always started since I use synthetic oil and fuel conditioner. The only way would be to leave it outside overnight plugged in and see if it starts any different. My garage stays between 32 - 40F most of the time.

How quickly will the temp gauge on our trucks move up to "normal" after being plugged in all night... at least I would know the coolant was warmer/hotter than without it (hence it is working).

How warm does the heater warm up the coolant?

I know mine works simply because it starts easier. Without it, it typically romps for a few seconds. With it, it starts like I just shut it down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg