AC Shore Power Plug For Block Heater

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This afternoon when I drove my truck, I noticed that the tranny temp guage moved before the coolant temp gauge.. after being plugged in all night?

Yes, my truck started fine and warmed up faster, but I was surprised to see the tranny guage move/jump up well before the coolant even thought of moving???

Anyone have a therory (or actually know) why?

Jeff

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes, The tranny is water cooled (or heated) like the engine, so if you warm up the engine, you will also get the tranny warm at little or no cost.

Dave:doh:

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the block heater has a fuse in it anywhere? Since it's on a 120 volt system I can't imagine it being with all the other fuses. Mine seems to not be working the last couple days and I'm wondering if I blew a fuse. I just installed the Marinco plug, but I tested the plug and it was working fine.:dunno

Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
Does anyone know if the block heater has a fuse in it anywhere? Since it's on a 120 volt system I can't imagine it being with all the other fuses. Mine seems to not be working the last couple days and I'm wondering if I blew a fuse. I just installed the Marinco plug, but I tested the plug and it was working fine.:dunno

I can't imagine that they would put a fuse on heater - far as I know the cord just goes straight to it. My guess is that they would rely on the home breaker to throw if there is a fault.

Just to list things that you may have already checked - House fuse? - are you plugged into a GFI circuit or outlet? - bad extension cord? - Did it work after you installed the Marinco? If not - reverse polarity? Can't think of anything else to check at the moment - if everything else checks out then I guess it's onto testing the heater itself.

Ron

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
rgdillon said:
I can't imagine that they would put a fuse on heater - far as I know the cord just goes straight to it. My guess is that they would rely on the home breaker to throw if there is a fault.

Just to list things that you may have already checked - House fuse? - are you plugged into a GFI circuit or outlet? - bad extension cord? - Did it work after you installed the Marinco? If not - reverse polarity? Can't think of anything else to check at the moment - if everything else checks out then I guess it's onto testing the heater itself.

Ron

Thanks Ron. Yeah, I didn't think there'd be a fuse but I had to ask. I checked my hardwiring on the back of the marinco plug and it all worked--I plugged in an electric drill and it worked. Perhaps I'll double check it again just to make sure.

The only other thing that I can possibly think of that is out of the ordinary is applying the connection grease to the plugs between the heater plug and the cord on the back of the Marinco plug. You leave that grease on, correct? Then I taped the hell out of it to keep the water out. :dunno

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Just went out and checked it. Pulled the tape off the connection between the heater plug and the female connection on the back of the Marinco. It's got power. I've got no way of telling if the block heater is actually working, so I'll check in the morning to see if things are warm. If not, I'll have the dealer check it out. I'm bringing it in tomorrow anyway to get the haaaard cold start checked out.

Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
. . . out of the ordinary is applying the connection grease to the plugs between the heater plug and the cord on the back of the Marinco plug. You leave that grease on, correct? Then I taped the hell out of it to keep the water out. :dunno

Yeah - it's just standard electrical contact grease that I use all the time on everything so therefore - I can't remember the name of it. :dunno

Comes in a small can with red cap and red/white label. Anyway - I use it on all exterior connectors. Keeps the corrosion and moisture out.

Dealer should be able to figure it all out pretty quickly though -

Ron

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer :(....

but unfortunately it's usually the last thing I touched that breaks --- not sure why that is I stopped using the BIG hammer on everything :)

fyi - is dielectric grease the word you're looking for :)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Place an ohm meter between the two poles of the heater cord and see if you can get a reading, any reading. If not (reads zero) you have a dead heater. I don't remember the reading in ohms for a good heater, sorry.

Dave

Tnegg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Maybe the end that plugs into the heater should have a clear end and a couple LED's molded in so it would glow when powered up. I've seen some extension cords like this that put off quite a bit of light. At least it would show that it's connected. It seems like for would have had some form of idiot light on the interior ove the truck to show a connection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg