Amateur radio/scanner stuff...

Oboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tbar said:
Kool install Mark. Your mirror must be lower than mine. I tried to put my Kenwood D700 over the mirror but it wouldn't fit.

Tbar

Thanks, :thanks
Your headunit looks to be the same size, must be the way my mirror was mounted.

Mark

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The location of the mirror stud is not standard, so depending on who made your windshield, the mirror may be higher or lower.

Kinda sucks, but not the end of the world, you can get those mirror stud glues at the autoparts store and move it lower if need be.

Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Ron,what frequencies do you monitor thru the splitter that you receive in that 30-40 mile range out of curiousity? :)

When I start talking multiband,mono band,roof mount,etc terms I'm usually going after frequencies that can be received 100's of miles out :sweet

I'm happy to see others with similar interests in Radio electronics :cool: :cool:

Bill

Bill,

The interest is there – the knowledge isn’t. :dunno 99% of my scanning is the local and State Police as they are the first to know where the accidents are. That way I can find my way around. In this area a fender bender can cause a 10 mile backup.
I have purchased the study guides for the license – just not sure what to do with it all and even what band radio to purchase. :confused:
If I was to purchase one just to listen in on while I am learning – what band would you recommend? 2 Meter? That Icom IC-2720h looks really sweet!

Ron

CHPMustang

Reaction score
rgdillon said:
Bill,

The interest is there – the knowledge isn’t. :dunno 99% of my scanning is the local and State Police as they are the first to know where the accidents are. That way I can find my way around. In this area a fender bender can cause a 10 mile backup.
I have purchased the study guides for the license – just not sure what to do with it all and even what band radio to purchase. :confused:
If I was to purchase one just to listen in on while I am learning – what band would you recommend? 2 Meter? That Icom IC-2720h looks really sweet!

Ron
Same here for the most minor of incidents can tie up the roadways for hours here in DFW :eek:

Post up what your location is,what your main scanning interests are and I'll PM you a healthy list :sweet

Again with your location can dictate what ham bands can be best utilized but 2 meter(144Mhz) is everywhere,I'd suggest a good dual band radio to get a taste of the hobby without committing into the big dollar radios :)

Bill

Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Same here for the most minor of incidents can tie up the roadways for hours here in DFW :eek:

Post up what your location is,what your main scanning interests are and I'll PM you a healthy list :sweet

Again with your location can dictate what ham bands can be best utilized but 2 meter(144Mhz) is everywhere,I'd suggest a good dual band radio to get a taste of the hobby without committing into the big dollar radios :)

Bill

Alexandria, VA - right outside of DC. Daily I can be anywhere from south to Fredericksburg - west past Haymarket - north to Fredrick MD and eastward towards Baltimore :)

Scanner freqs are not that important at the moment as I, as I said normally need that for just traveling around - though the BCT 8 will pick up damn near whatever I want.

It's the Ham side that I have always wanted to get into. Start off with the truck and maybe later setup for the house here. I just don't know anyone that's into it that is interested in taking the time to point me in the right direction. I did purchase the "Look who's talking" books a year or so ago - but agian without knowing someone on the other end - well - :dunno

I do like that Icom unit listed in the previous posts above - and could find some room for it in the truck - and even did some price shopping on it last night. Found a few places for under $400 bucks - could get that in a few weeks (got to get some play money the wife doesn't know about :oops: )

I could try to find a Ham Club in the area - just don't know how receptive they are to newbie idiots :(

So - any pointers you could give me in the right direction - I'd be grateful.

Ron

CHPMustang

Reaction score
If you just wanted ham listings I can surely hook you up there :)

Virginia, Maryland
ARRL Affliated Club Search Database which most clubs will list their repeater frequencies.

Don't worry about being a newcomer in Amateur Radio as we all have been there when getting into the hobby,most clubs will have Elmers(Mentors) that can be of great help in getting started. :sweet

What Oboy,Arlie,Tbar,myself and others have done is once you have your license callsign issued just transmit up on a local repeater with your callsign and most of the time another amateur will answer back,give em your call name and location and you're pretty much in as it takes no time to get in the groove of things. :)

If you'd like I can contact a club in your area to get you more info if you'd like as it would be no prob to assist :cool:

The Icom,Kenwood and Yaesu brand are household names in the hobby so you'll have many options in what make/model radio/s you're interested in but the Icom 2720 is indeed a sweet rig to start with :sweet

I can still email you some up to date frequency lists for State PD's in MD and VA if you'd like.

I'm familiar with the area you're in as I resided and was employed in Rockville/Wheaton during 90-91.

Bill

Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
If you just wanted ham listings I can surely hook you up there :) . . . .

The Icom,Kenwood and Yaesu brand are household names in the hobby so you'll have many options in what make/model radio/s you're interested in but the Icom 2720 is indeed a sweet rig to start with :sweet

I can still email you some up to date frequency lists for State PD's in MD and VA if you'd like.

I'm familiar with the area you're in as I resided and was employed in Rockville/Wheaton during 90-91.

Bill

:sweet Alright then - moving the Icom radio up to the top of the list ;)

I'll dust off the books and start to study in my spare time when I'm sleeping!

Seriously - appreciate the help. Next to last question - on that Icom radio - which antenna would you recommend? Don't have any aversions to drilling more holes - already have one Wilson up there for the CB radio.

Thanks,

Ron

Oboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used the online tests,Eham and QRZ . I just went through the tests a lot, then took the real thing, and I did pass. :sweet
Hope this helps

Mark

Man I do love the smilies: :cool: -popcorn :thumbs

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Ron,
I'm sorta partial to Diamond Antenna but antennas from Comet is also choice gear :sweet

It all comes down to how many bands,the gain,length and overall features you're looking for.

I believe Tbar installed a new dual band Diamond on his truck,Oboy I think got a dual band Antenex model.

Glad to help and I'm sure others will have just as much valuable input :)

Check my photos for my radio gear.

Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64