anyone have ticking sound while idleing.

powerwasher

08 SD 6.4L Diesel
Reaction score
It started at about 5000 miles, and i only hear it when then engine is at idle after it has been working hard. I am going to just live with it now until someone can get it fixed. The tech at my dealer told me he sees a lot of them with this and that guys are bringing them. but they dont know what it is. let me know if you need any more info.

Randy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mine started at 5000 as well. The tech nor Ford knows what it is but recommended in writing to drive it. I will keep you posted of any new info but for now I think I will live with. I'm hoping it goes away by itself.

thepawnshop

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys....I'm new to the forum. In fact, I was directed here from another forum because I too am having the ticking issue. I picked my F350SD up last Wednesday and by the time I got home I noticed the "tick". It almost sounds like an exhaust leak or a BB bouncing around inside teh engine. I took the truck back Monday and she is now sitting on a lift without a cab and the heads are removed. They are at a standstill while they wait for the International rep to come take a look, so right now I am without my truck and in the dark. Of course they are telling me they have never heard of this before and I am inclined to beleive them simply because they are being incredibly cautious about each step of troubleshooting that they perform.

Power wise the truck seems to run fine, but that audible ticking is a bit much to live with. I will let you all know what they find out about my truck as soon as I know and I will be checking back here often to see how others are dealing with their 50k ticking machines....

She is a pretty machine, though....my first Ford (been a Chevy guy all my life) and boy am I catching flack about my new Ford already being torn apart in the repair shop...with less than 500 miles on it....and 300 of those miles was from the truck being delivered!

thepawnshop

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, I went to the dealership today to get a few things out of my truck and got the scoop on my ticking noise. In fact, they showed me where it was ticking....it was easy for them to do cause the truck engine was torn apart and one of the heads was on a bench. Apparently, one of the pistons is coming 1/500th of an inch higher than the other pistons, causing it to hit the head, thus making it "tick". It is incredibly obvious because where the piston was hitting is shiny whereas where the other pistons hit is matte black. Now they are going to switch pistons to see if the problem is the piston, crankshaft or something else.

I'm obviously going to complain to Ford directly as I dont have a lot of confidence in the engine going forward (there are parts EVERYWHERE for that thing!), but I have my doubts as to what Ford will do for me. I know that this is out of the dealers hands...in fact, I think they are doing a great job all things considered....

thepawnshop

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
OK...here is the latest.....

They have decided that the problem is one of the connecting rods (the piece that connects the piston to the crank shaft) is out by 1/500ths of an inch. They are putting the engine back together and they think I will have my truck back tommorrow, which I sincerely doubt, but we shall see.

Of course they said that they (the dealership) nor Ford direct has EVER heard of this problem, so I guess they haven't been to this message board, but supposedly there were two Ford Engineers and one International engineer here both yesterday and today working on my truck

I guess my main concern will be the truck never being "quite right" after being dissassembled and rebuilt, though time will tell. I called Ford direct and told them my concerns and as politely as they could they basically told me they were gonna fix it, which was their obligation and that was/is basically all they are going to do. That said, if I hear a squeak or rattle, my truck will be right back in the shop! My contention was that this was not about warranty work, but the fact that they sold me a defective vehicle.

I will let you guys know how this plays out!

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
thats messed up man. so are they giving you like a lifetime warranty? if not I would bail on that thing.

I cant wait till the price of my 7.3 starts going up:lmao

thepawnshop

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thats messed up man. so are they giving you like a lifetime warranty? if not I would bail on that thing.

Man, I don't really think that is a choice....they have to have the opportunity to make this truck right. I can cuss and fuss all I want, but you gotta play thier game. They did say that they (Ford direct called me) would call me on Tuesday to see what it would take to make me happy, though. I sincerely doubt they are in the practice of replacing cars without a fight, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58