Best route to pull a 5th wheel

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why you would go through Houston when traveling from Florida to Maine? That would be the l o n g way..

my bad...i missed the maine part....i was thinking he was running from
northern cal to fla., sorry.

i10 is STILL better than i95 <will EVER be> !

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maxtor, your trailer can't be over 13,6 tall. That's the law. If it is taller you will be hitting bridges all the time. Please don't drive down the highways with your antenna up, they get messed up real fast.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Maxtor, your trailer can't be over 13,6 tall. That's the law. If it is taller you will be hitting bridges all the time. Please don't drive down the highways with your antenna up, they get messed up real fast.

thats good to know wd40, we are at 13'2"-4" depending on load out :eek:

what antenna????? you mean that bent thingy :sly

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try rt 81 i believe it runs alongside of 95 for the most part the blue ridge parkway is nice also

i81 is TERRIBLE...its as unpredictible as i95....way too many trucks
and its 2 lanes the the entire length of virginia, wv, pa & tn.

Id run i95 before i would recommend i81

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for all the advice... I need all I can get. I would like to bypass D.C and New York if possible.

WD, powerboatr;

I am talking about my radio antenna which is bendable, but could get snagged under a overpass. We do not use the radio in the 5th wheel very much, so we could remove it, or somehow tie it down.
We had vent covers installed, which increased the overall height. We took it into a service stall that had a 14 ft. door way, and everything cleared but the antenna. Antenna was 7 inches above the door way. Our truck is extra tall for a stock truck. 4x4 and camper package F350, LT275/70R18 tires. Our Wildcat is built extra tall from the factory to fit the taller new trucks. I have to use a ladder to open the vent in the living room. The ceiling fan is above 6ft 6 in.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Max, Do yerself a favor.. Go to a local truck stop and get yerself a current edition of the, Rand McNally, Motor Carriers' Road Atlas (Truckers Atlas).. It has a wealth of knowledge about clearances and road hazards, State by State.

I'm 12.8 tall and have never had a clearance issue. We've been Coast To Coast via All Interstate routes an most US highways.. never had a clearance problem. We have encountered a couple Low Bridge or Low Clearance spots on SOME back east state highways but they've ALL been clearly marked Well ahead of time and Most all have a By-Pass route. The Truckers Atlas will warn you of all of'm.

On your Antenna ? Most are angle adjustable. I angled mine down to about 60*.. No problems then. Better Yet (?), cut the dang thing off'n go XM.. I did.

When we go up the East Coast from Florida to Maine, we like go I-95north to I-26, at Asheville NC, I-181 north to I-81. I-81 all the way to Binghamton NY, then I-88 to Albany. Then US-2 over to I-91, north to US-2 again.. brings you out at Skowhegan Ma, couple more miles and yer in Bangor. As many times as we've done that route.. the Scenery always changes or looks different, some how.

The best, best part is... You do don't have to deal with ANY of the BIG East Coast Cities.

Traffic is Traffic. I run with the trucks, and give way to the trucks. Been There Done That (OTR).. Run with'm not Against'm... makes for a leisurely drive. Actually FUN work'n with'm.. If you know what I mean ?

Just one route. From one RVr thats done it a couple times. :dunno

Mobeydick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are going to take our time, and if it works out, we want to see as many of you as we can. We will have our laptop with us, and will let everyone know where we are, so if anyone wants to visit, we will be glad to see you.
Stop and go traffic, and or heavy traffic is not good for this old guy. We want to take a scenic and leisurely trip. Also we need to be concerned about bridge or tunnel heights. We need 14 ft to clear the unit, and another 8 inches to clear the antenna. We will be going through Texas on our way to Florida, but we should be north, going through Amarillo and Wichita Falls. Anyone close to either city? Then Oklahoma, Missouri, Tennessee, and down to Florida.
I don't really want to go through Atlanta, but we might have to.

Bangor Maine... :D

Merry Christmas everyone...
And thanks for each and every response.

Atlanta is not that bad anymore, unless someone want to jump off a overpass!!
Just hold your foot to the floor and hope to keep up with the traffic flow.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Max, Do yerself a favor.. Go to a local truck stop and get yerself a current edition of the, Rand McNally, Motor Carriers' Road Atlas (Truckers Atlas).. It has a wealth of knowledge about clearances and road hazards, State by State.

I'm 12.8 tall and have never had a clearance issue. We've been Coast To Coast via All Interstate routes an most US highways.. never had a clearance problem. We have encountered a couple Low Bridge or Low Clearance spots on SOME back east state highways but they've ALL been clearly marked Well ahead of time and Most all have a By-Pass route. The Truckers Atlas will warn you of all of'm.

On your Antenna ? Most are angle adjustable. I angled mine down to about 60*.. No problems then. Better Yet (?), cut the dang thing off'n go XM.. I did.

When we go up the East Coast from Florida to Maine, we like go I-95north to I-26, at Asheville NC, I-181 north to I-81. I-81 all the way to Binghamton NY, then I-88 to Albany. Then US-2 over to I-91, north to US-2 again.. brings you out at Skowhegan Ma, couple more miles and yer in Bangor. As many times as we've done that route.. the Scenery always changes or looks different, some how.

The best, best part is... You do don't have to deal with ANY of the BIG East Coast Cities.

Traffic is Traffic. I run with the trucks, and give way to the trucks. Been There Done That (OTR).. Run with'm not Against'm... makes for a leisurely drive. Actually FUN work'n with'm.. If you know what I mean ?

Just one route. From one RVr thats done it a couple times. :dunno

Thanks Big Joe;

That sounds like the type of route that we were looking for. :sweet

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atlanta is not that bad anymore, unless someone want to jump off a overpass!!
Just hold your foot to the floor and hope to keep up with the traffic flow.

We probably would get run over, :eek:
because when pulling the 5er, I just put it on cruise control at 60 mph and enjoy looking at the scenery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58