BIG MPG'S w/HeAtInG OiL

Status
Not open for further replies.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a HUGE mistake if anyone thinks they refine a DIFFERENT fuel for off road vs. ON ROAD.
Died fuels are NOT formulated any DIFFERENT <except for the added DIE> !

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
bush....didnt you know? that die they use is oxygenated, leaded, super sulferized, oh and it burns cleaner too!!!

im with the 'pilot on this one.....there is not a damn thing different other than the dye.

there might have been at one time, but deffinatly not since the whole ulsd movement. emmissions regulations dont only apply to on highway motor vehicles, they also involve commercial and residential machines, appliances, etc.....

all regulations set aside...the fuel refineries make money off of the elemental sulfur that comes out of the de-sulfurisation of our #2 fuel (red, green, or piss yellow), so why would they want to leave it in?

On June 1st, 2006, U.S. refiners were required to produce 80% of their annual output as ULSD (15 ppm), and petroleum marketers and retailers were required to label[7] diesel fuel, diesel fuel additives and kerosone pumps with EPA-authorized language disclosing fuel type and sulfur content. Other requirements effective June 1st, 2006, including EPA-authorized language on Product Transfer Documents and sulfur-content testing standards, are designed to prevent misfueling, contamination by higher-sulfur fuels and liability issues. The EPA deadline for industry compliance to a 15 ppm sulfur content was originally set for July 15, 2006 for distribution terminals, and by September 1, 2006 for retail. But on November 8, 2005, the deadline was extended by 45 days to September 1, 2006 for terminals and October 15, 2006 for retail. In California, the extension was not granted and followed the original schedule. As of December, 2006, the ULSD standard has been in effect according to the amended schedule, and compliance at retail locations was reported to be in place.

Sulfur is not a lubricant, however the process used to reduce the Sulfur also reduces the fuel's lubricating properties. Lubricity is a measure of the fuel's ability to lubricate and protect the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system from wear. The processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also removes naturally-occurring lubricity agents in diesel fuel. To manage this change ASTM International (formerly the American Society for Testing and Materials) adopted the lubricity specification defined in ASTM D975 for all diesel fuels and this standard went into effect January 1, 2005. [8]

The refining process that removes the sulfur also reduces the aromatic content and density of the fuel, resulting in a minor decrease in the energy content, by about 1%. This decrease in energy content may result in reduced peak power and fuel economy.
-from wikipedia

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some off road fuels are still high sulfer although unless you order the fuel I doubt you know the sulfer content at our bulk plant we just list it as high sulfer #2 dyed

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
about a month ago i checked all of new haven terminal here in CT, and nobody had low sulfur fuel. it was all ultra low #2 red or not red were the only choices. i was planning on running the low sulfur red dye if i could get my hands on some.

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a HUGE mistake if anyone thinks they refine a DIFFERENT fuel for off road vs. ON ROAD.
Died fuels are NOT formulated any DIFFERENT <except for the added DIE> !

Bush I have said this befor in other threads. There are TWO DIFFERENT FUELS #2 high supher HEATING OIL and USLD diesel in clear(taxed) dyed (not taxed). If anybody thinks I am wrong remember I deal with the stuff every day I am the fuel truck driver.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Bush I have said this befor in other threads. There are TWO DIFFERENT FUELS #2 high supher HEATING OIL and USLD diesel in clear(taxed) dyed (not taxed). If anybody thinks I am wrong remember I deal with the stuff every day I am the fuel truck driver.
Got any paperwork you can scan in to show us the PPM sulfur content difference between the two fuels?-popcorn

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Interesting reading....somewhat technical but interesting none the less. Remember, this paper is over 8 years old now but it has a lot of the groundwork in it for why we are where we are today with our fuels.

Reaction score
All our fuel at work is ULSD. Comes straight out of the truck and we add the dye even. Same truck fills up the red tanks and the green tanks.

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got any paperwork you can scan in to show us the PPM sulfur content difference between the two fuels?-popcorn

If my scaner wants to work I will see what I can dig up at work this week. I can tell you usld is 15ppm sulpher and #2 heating oil is around 50,000ppm and has a much higher energy content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58