Bilstien help

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I aint so sure it makes a difference. They're Duel Action dampening :dunno

I went with the logic that the Bilstein Logo should able to be read without standing on my head.. and the little boot vent hole was so air could vent in & out while the Bilsteins were doing their work.

All 4 boots Up here (DRW). Did halfta trim the front fender well just a tad.. The logic there was: the stock shocks were just Cheap'n Skinny(er).

Not try'n to be a Wise Guy.. Just relating the Logic I used.

Glassdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure wish they came with install instructions. I did notice that only 1 bushing had a steel sleeve installed. On the front shocks the steel sleeve was on the boot end. Seemed logical to me that the steel sleeve would be on the bottom. The rear shocks had the sleeve oppisite of the boot so I installed boot up. I did notice that the boots are completely different. The boots on the front are sealed to keep the dirt out. The rear boots are open. If the rear boots are mounted down dirt and water could get inside. I didn't even think about the label but they are all rightside up.

Mike

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had to check...but ive confirmed...BOTH my front & rears are mounted "boot DOWN" (label UP)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had to check...but ive confirmed...BOTH my front & rears are mounted "boot DOWN" (label UP)

Okay BP, you checked yours.. I HAD to go confirm mine :lmao

BOTH my front & rears are mounted "boot UP" (label up)

The installation KEY might be: LABLE UP. Boot position is Moot (Rhyme ?).

Proly depends on Year, Make and Model (?) (I'm 2K, 2WD, DRW) As long as the Label is UP.. Front & Rear.. Yer Good To Go.:dunno

:dizzy

Last edited:

Glassdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to an old friend of mine that used to work at the local Ford dealer. He said that unless you remove the steel sleeve in the bushing you can't install them wrong. Ford uses a shoulder bolt at the top mount and a bolt at the bottom. The 2 are different diameters.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Bilsteins just showed up at the front door and all labels (front + rears) will be upright with all of the boots downward...not sure if it helps anyone.:dunno

d50e - youre gonna LOVE those shocks...im not kidding youll know
& feel the diff before you get to the end of your driveway !

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
d50e - youre gonna LOVE those shocks...im not kidding youll know
& feel the diff before you get to the end of your driveway !

Boy, I'll second that......they are terrific. My truck was pretty good before but since I put the Bilsteins on I can feel a HUGE difference. Handles/rides far better than before the Bilsteins.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58