Black coolant

Jeppers

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an early 04 (03 motor) when pulling an 9000lb fifth wheel camper
this past weekend I noticed the sweet smell of burning antifreeze and loss of power the truck is bone stock with 70,000 and just past warranty I did not loose any antifreeze it just turn black and smells like diesel fuel any ideas?

JRJ04

Reaction score
sounds like you lifted a head gasket to me. im sure the 6.0 guys will chime in here soon.

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed mine today. It came out nearly black. There was a lot of grit in the coolant, and I think that accounted for a lot of the blackness. When I drained the pan, it looked like it was oily in the bottom, but, when I put my finger in it, it was mostly gritty. Just my experience.

Jeppers

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just an update I took the truck to a local repair shop they did a coolant system pressure check and said everything check out ok I was told
that the cat could be restricted causing exhaust temps to be so high while towing that the coolant in the egr cooler could be boiling causing a burning coolant smell His advice was to bypass the egr cooler and do a 4" pipe from the turbo back with no cat any ideas??

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
My only suggestion is to keep the cat in a safe place. You will need it in the near future to pass smog. We will have diesel truck smog inspections on our diesels in a few months. There will be a run on cats here in a little while.

Dave

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i would try the combustion gas chemical test. i cand recall the part number or who makes it, but it has been mentioned before. its a vile with a blue chemical, you put it in place of the radiator cap and let the gases bubble through. if there are combustion gases present, the chemical turns from blue to yellow.

did they pressure test the coolant with a HOT engine?

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score

Jeppers

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
no the motor was cold. I ended up taking the truck and my fifth wheel up to the Ford dealer for loaded coolant pressure test the coolant system was getting up to 25psi the tech said it was the egr cooler but it the coolers fail because of the head gaskets he suggested changing the head gaskets, egr cooler, oil cooler,coolant system flush, and an oil change since the truck is just out of warranty (warranty ended on 2/28/09)the total repair would be about $4100 I asked if they would stud the head and by pass the egr cooler?? he said no way on the bypass but if I bring him the studs the he will install them at no charge

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
You will need it in the near future to pass smog. We will have diesel truck smog inspections on our diesels in a few months. There will be a run on cats here in a little while.

Dave
Do you have more information on this?

I recently purchased a diesel to get away from all that smog cr@p. I believe in a clean environment but not at the cost of having to smog my vehicle at some rip-off shop.

I have seen portable monitor (trailers) that monitor for the gross polluters. They can use them and ticket the violators instead of the every two years requirements.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58