Black coolant

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
yes the coolant level on the degas bottle should be lower than the level on the bottle. there was a recall/tsb for them to put a sticker showing the correct level. imho, ford designed the degas bottle to small in the first place, thus came the coolant level recall/tsb. the new full hot level is lower than the full cold level. as far as the changing the egr valve as maintenance, i would only change it when it goes bad.. you will know when tht happens. no power, tons of black smoke and major hessitation.

Because if you wait too long and the EGR fail closed you get high pressure in the engine and then blown head gaskets. (white smoke)

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
Because if you wait too long and the EGR fail closed you get high pressure in the engine and then blown head gaskets. (white smoke)

that is a MYTH.

if the egr sticks closed there is no pressure spike in the cylinders, it just directs the exhaust out the exhaust pipe rather than back into the engine. basically the same as an EGR delete kit.

if the egr sticks open (wich is much more common) you are constantly recirculating the exhaust gasses and it makes for smokey exhaust AND all of your boost is able to blow backwards through the egr system and out the tailpipe rather than INTO the cylinders. again, no pressure spike in the cylinders.

egr valves cannot cause a head gasket failure.

HOWEVER...a head gasket failure can (and quite often does) cause coolant to enter the exhaust stream, and cause the egr valve to fail.

head gaskets fail because of the under-engineered bolts that hold the heads to the block. under higher boost levels the heads literally LIFT off the block and thus reduce the clamping force on the gaskets. this is where the notorious 6.0 head gasket failure comes from. not egr valves sticking closed.

i would stick to the "wait until it breaks" advise from wilson111.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing this up, Zookie. What you said is how I thought it worked. Now you have confirmed it.

Dave

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing this up, Zookie. What you said is how I thought it worked. Now you have confirmed it.

Dave
Zookies post does not really clear this up. I heard no facts about us and our 6.0's. regarding state or Fed. emission rules and reg'.s. now or in the future. How does this confirm anything?

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
that is a MYTH.

if the egr sticks closed there is no pressure spike in the cylinders, it just directs the exhaust out the exhaust pipe rather than back into the engine. basically the same as an EGR delete kit.

if the egr sticks open (wich is much more common) you are constantly recirculating the exhaust gasses and it makes for smokey exhaust AND all of your boost is able to blow backwards through the egr system and out the tailpipe rather than INTO the cylinders. again, no pressure spike in the cylinders.

egr valves cannot cause a head gasket failure.

HOWEVER...a head gasket failure can (and quite often does) cause coolant to enter the exhaust stream, and cause the egr valve to fail.

head gaskets fail because of the under-engineered bolts that hold the heads to the block. under higher boost levels the heads literally LIFT off the block and thus reduce the clamping force on the gaskets. this is where the notorious 6.0 head gasket failure comes from. not egr valves sticking closed.

i would stick to the "wait until it breaks" advise from wilson111.

I stand corrected. I am only speaking from what I have read on the forums.

I am planning to at least clean my EGR this weekend for GP. The issue that I am having is, I think, in my after-cooler. I don't think that the coolant is leaking into the engine but I do think that the cooler is not working correctly. I conducted a coolant flush because the liquid was brown in color. The cooler, I think the cooler is not working efficiently and might be partially blocked. After turning off the engine the coolant gets hotter and blows out the cap. I replaced the cap with no changes. and the liquid is brown again. No oil or fuel just brown. It still has coolant because I can smell it.
I am going to flush it again. The temp gauge stays normal (not over heating).

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
i also had a egr cooler leak and other issues. i minimised these by cleaning the egr valve about every thirty thousand miles but as of last week all of that is history all the egr crap is gone and studs are in so hopefully i am good to go for awhile knock on wood

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
Zookies post does not really clear this up. I heard no facts about us and our 6.0's. regarding state or Fed. emission rules and reg'.s. now or in the future. How does this confirm anything?

as far as facts, :dunno prove me wrong. my ASE card says i know how the system works :rolleyes:

emissions rules and regs dont have anything to do with black coolant and its causes....wich is what this thread WAS about.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
as far as facts, :dunno prove me wrong. my ASE card says i know how the system works :rolleyes:

emissions rules and regs dont have anything to do with black coolant and its causes....wich is what this thread WAS about.
Sorry Zookie, This is a perfect example of how these threads sometimes get twisted up. I was referring to DaveBens post about future state inspections on our rigs. BTW, there's many ASE card holders that don't know how the system works. I'm glad you're not one of them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58