Black coolant

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Looks like I messed something. I could have sworn that I had read that California was going to start Diesel Truck smog inspection in 2010. I am wrong, I guess. :dunno

Dave

I'm sure hoping you didn't see it somewhere Dave! That would be yet another fee/expense for us all, not to mention the nightmare of some Mods that would have to be changed by many of us. Starting w/ the cats like you mentioned before. I know you don't have to worry because you run stock. Us Modded guys hope you don't get the last laugh! :D

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am not looking for the last laugh!!! I want to see all of us in good shape for whatever comes along, and that is why I keep saying to keep the Cat, if you remove it. This is not going to get easier in the future. Get used to it.

Dave :(

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
no the motor was cold. I ended up taking the truck and my fifth wheel up to the Ford dealer for loaded coolant pressure test the coolant system was getting up to 25psi the tech said it was the egr cooler but it the coolers fail because of the head gaskets he suggested changing the head gaskets, egr cooler, oil cooler,coolant system flush, and an oil change since the truck is just out of warranty (warranty ended on 2/28/09)the total repair would be about $4100 I asked if they would stud the head and by pass the egr cooler?? he said no way on the bypass but if I bring him the studs the he will install them at no charge
I thought that the coolant system is suppose to be 16 psi as per the coolant cap. I am new to this 6.0L diesel stuff too. But from what I have read so far the EGR cooler (there are two different types) is a major problem, thus making the EGR to fail (along with the diesel carbon).

Can anyone chime in on this more????

My 6.0L has 140K and I am thinking about changing out the EGR as a regular maintenance process (every couple years). It's cheaper to change out the EGR then having to replace head gaskets.

When I first purchased the truck I conducted a radiator flush and coolant replacement, oil change, and replaced the fuel filters. I found out that the level of coolant in the make-up bottle is suppose to be muck lower then listed on the labels and the higher liquid level forced the coolant out onto the exhaust manifold.

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
I have an early 04 (03 motor) when pulling an 9000lb fifth wheel camper
this past weekend I noticed the sweet smell of burning antifreeze and loss of power the truck is bone stock with 70,000 and just past warranty I did not loose any antifreeze it just turn black and smells like diesel fuel any ideas?

Make sure that you are not having issues with the fuel injectors sticking open. If there is a leak in the cooler it should smell the same as diesel exhaust not the fuel itself. I am not sure how to check this because I have only heard about the issues by reading up on it.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Starting next year, just like gas rigs. That is what I have heard. California Smog Checks - Emissions Regulations, CA Smog Testing Stations - DMV.ORG

Dave

If you go over to oilburners.net (Our sister site) and do a search, there has been an extensive discussion on this. Look for posts from towcat when you do a search, he is in Cali and has a towing business. Cali is going to start emission-ing ALL diesel's in the next couple of years.... including stationary engines and off-road equiptment. This is coming in 2010 and 2011......

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
I am not looking for the last laugh!!! I want to see all of us in good shape for whatever comes along, and that is why I keep saying to keep the Cat, if you remove it. This is not going to get easier in the future. Get used to it.

Dave :([/QUOTE
Clearly you can't take a joke Dave. Lighten up man, I was only kidding around and meant no disrespect.;tu

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
dave can take a joke, but he is right.....IT WILL NOT GET EASIER! the cats for my mustang are hanging in the rafters of the barn, and next month they will need to be put back on for a day so i can bring it in for its test. not important for this thread though..........

I thought that the coolant system is suppose to be 16 psi as per the coolant cap. I am new to this 6.0L diesel stuff too. But from what I have read so far the EGR cooler (there are two different types) is a major problem, thus making the EGR to fail (along with the diesel carbon).

the EGR cooler has been the #1 failure on every diesel make that rolls through my shop since EPA07 engines came out, except CAT but thats a failed attemp we coul,d write a book on. basically the coolers are all made with the same technology....a tin can with microscopic welds. my personal educated opinion is that there isnt enough "BEEF" to handle the extreme hot/cold temp changed an egr cooler incurs regularly.

as for the head gaskets causing an egr cooler failure, im not sure i follow. a proper diagnosis is needed. sounds like a tech that doesnt know so he write up everything to be safe.
this is not a recommendation, but for me.........if i had a 6.0/6.4 the emmissions stuff would be GONE! problems solved.

wilson111

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yes the coolant level on the degas bottle should be lower than the level on the bottle. there was a recall/tsb for them to put a sticker showing the correct level. imho, ford designed the degas bottle to small in the first place, thus came the coolant level recall/tsb. the new full hot level is lower than the full cold level. as far as the changing the egr valve as maintenance, i would only change it when it goes bad.. you will know when tht happens. no power, tons of black smoke and major hessitation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58