black trucks.....swirls and scratches

Blane

ME = CRAZY
Reaction score
wash with a NICE wash mit, cheapies will scratch, well EVERYTHING you touch to your paint scratches it, but you wont always notice. swirls scratches ect. every thing that contacts the paint leaves a mark whether it be microscopic or not, its there.

so a good wash mit is key. clay bar EVERYTIME you wax. before waxing of course. claybaring removes contamination that you cant always see. bugs and other such particles. lubricate the bar and just rub it all over the truck as if you were waxing and the bar is the applicator pad, keep it lubricated during the entire procces, youll know if its enough cause a non/underlubricated bar "grabs" and sticks to the paint, its not bad just almost impossible to do it dry. you can use water or a spray wax for lubrication. i like megiuars gold glass wax. turtlewax platinum series is good too. wax is more or less a preference with all the major brands. its all good. most people dont know how to use a highspeed buffer so buffing/polishing is out of the question but hand polishes and glazes are a good second best.

so to sum it all up:

1) wash thoroughly with a good mit and a good sudsy soap

2) clay bar. remove heavy tar with tar remover and a towel. fold clay bar as it becomes dirty.

3a) polish (by hand or with a buffer) **this is optional**

3b) wax, liquid wax is easiest to work with, megiuars, turtle wax, zymol ect.

4) remove wax with a good microfiber cloth, terry towels leave swirls!!!! as wax builds up on cloth turn over. if streaking appears squirt the paint with a little bit of window cleaner.

5) relax and enjoy! you earned that shiny ****ing truck!

Last edited:

RADDONKEY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My last superduty was black, I had the same problem of swirls and scratches. A friend of mine works for Meguires and he gave me a bottle of TECHWAX. It works better than anything else I have tried. Just one application and it looked brand new again. I would highly recommend it. :sweet RD

Blane

ME = CRAZY
Reaction score
no problem guys.

a bunch of different companys make clay bars. any place that has a good auto care section will have some. couple bucks. they are all pretty much the same.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
KansasDiesel said:
Thanks Shaggy, for your tips.....:thumbs

Where would one find the clay bar?? at a auto paint store??
I get mine at AutoZone or most auto parts stores will stock them:sweet

janders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one and haven't used it yet, but the box says that you spray a 2 foot section with this detail stuff they give you with it and then just rub the clay bar on it over lapping strokes.

Blane

ME = CRAZY
Reaction score
i know i typed some novels in a few of my posts, but i went over it. exactly like he said. water, glass cleaner or detail spray (spray wax) as a lubricant, work in small sections and just rub your truck. think of sanding or waxing. just you wont see the results as you work.

janders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shaggy,
Is there a good protectant or finish coat or something that can be sprayed on the truck that will protect the paint from swirl makes and light scratches and bird crap, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58