Question Block heater cord

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Well this morning I got a shock literally when I grabbed my block heater cord. The insulation cracked up against the plug and was shorting out on the wires I am really lucky the truck didnt go up in flames from this. What I am wondering is does anyone have a diagram of what wire goes where on the plug so I go to our local International dealer and get one of those nice chrome bumper mount plug units and rewire it.

Thank in advance for the help.

Dave

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
Dave-
i don't have the 'wire' answer, someone should thou..........

however, you could prolly ask the IH dealer

p.s. look for my 'related' post!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Dave-
i don't have the 'wire' answer, someone should thou..........

however, you could prolly ask the IH dealer

p.s. look for my 'related' post!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks I will try that and I will spend a little more time searching tonight when I get home from work I searched for about 15 minutes here at work.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Cut the plug off at an angle so you can match up the plug and wire. Use a meter and check resistance across the plug (wire to blade). You can then match up the wires for each blade on the new plug.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
yooper-

sorry, i should have been clearer....i meant my post relating to the cord - as in i forgot to unplug it and drove away today....:doh:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
if you're asking what wire relates to what blade on the plug...
the outside ones are line and neutral, the middle one is the ground lug...
and polarity is not a big deal, it's A/C, although if you really wanted to get technical, the large lug goes to the black wire, which should be a brass lug on your repair plug
I believe this is a UL standard..

Last edited:

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
you know. I am going to drill a hole in my bumper and mount a receptical there because I cant tell you how many times I almost forget to unplug too, also I hate fishing for the damn plug at night and trying to match up the three holes in the dark. anyone else have done this yet???

bah... off to ace today, one day only sale of 20% might make it happen.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
you know. I am going to drill a hole in my bumper and mount a receptical there because I cant tell you how many times I almost forget to unplug too, also I hate fishing for the damn plug at night and trying to match up the three holes in the dark. anyone else have done this yet???

bah... off to ace today, one day only sale of 20% might make it happen.

what you want is not available at ACE..
you need to go to a marina and get a shore power outlet receptacle and plug.. (someone here did this? Barrett (a.k.a Architect-builder)?
IIRC they are spring loaded so they bust out the windows in the garage if you forget to unplug.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58