Cat or Muffler delete ?

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my god i cant wait til i can get my powerstroke back. im goin crazy here listenin to all u talk about doin this and that to your trucks. im so jeaslous....hopefully soon i can get another powerstroke.

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
I havent had my cat in place for more than a couple years...the truck
is inspected EVERY year & not ONCE has anyone EVER looked under
the truck.

Ive had the truck in for warrenty repair(s)/tsb's twice....each time
ive un-bolted my MBRP test pipe & bolted the cat back in place...its
a 15min job @ best.

Do they all come with cat's in TX? I'm wondering if it is not unusual for some to come from the factory there without that junk, and maybe that's why they didn't care in the inspection.

More importantly, I'm trying to figure out what warranty problems it would cause. If my kitty is sealed up sittin in the garage, what problems could come from the dealer seein its not there? Void the exhaust warranty? Or would it cause problems if I had any other smog control issues. I would think they could only justify voiding warranty repairs for systems after the cat...muffler and exhaust pipe...who cares? :dunno

dieselpilot

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I read that line about the MRBP cat delete not fitting the stock downpipe but Bushpilot and shadow grey were adamant that it would fit and I took them at their word, picked one up at our local diesel shop. Took about 25 minutes but most of that was getting the cat out, bit of a PITA since it had never been previously removed.

Anyway, the cat delete slipped right in. The downpipe to cat delete inlet needs to be lined up carefully but it does indeed fit and doesn't appear to leak. Putting it all in took a whole 5 minutes at best and when I started it up I also noticed a bit more turbo whistle at the exhaust tip. My cat seemed pretty constipated, it was hard to see any light through it. The guys at the performance shop also, like here, told me I would see lower EGTs and that they would knock the price of the cat delete from the whole system I plan to buy when I get a few more sheckles saved up.

Thanks guys, and shadow grey, those pictures really helped .:)

Last edited:

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm running silverline 4" no cat on mine and love it-not too loud-everybody says it sounds like a helicopter when its idleing:sweet so definately kill the cat:thumbs

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they all come with cat's in TX? I'm wondering if it is not unusual for some to come from the factory there without that junk, and maybe that's why they didn't care in the inspection.

More importantly, I'm trying to figure out what warranty problems it would cause. If my kitty is sealed up sittin in the garage, what problems could come from the dealer seein its not there? Void the exhaust warranty? Or would it cause problems if I had any other smog control issues. I would think they could only justify voiding warranty repairs for systems after the cat...muffler and exhaust pipe...who cares? :dunno

I bought mine when we lived in virginia (from a virginia dealer)...but
the cat thing is ALL states...texas doesnt have different federal laws
as much as some wish we were our own NATION ;)

dealers are LOOKING for an excuse NOT to service the truck under
warrenty (its a labor rate thing)...theyd do the work for cash (w/ or
w/out a cat) cause they can get nearly 3x the warrenty labor rate.

tampering or removing emmissions equipment is a FEDERAL crime.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was kind of amusing--when I used the Castrol-branded engine cleaner/degreaser, it dissolved all the lettering off of the stickers so now they're just blank white vs. having things printed on them. :rolleyes: ;)

bendog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang... I started this thread and on the 19th of january ordered an AFE 3.5 aluminized and I still havent gotten the darn thing. Goin crazay. Cmon UPS.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should have ordered the MBRP system from DPPI, you'd have had
it w/in a couple days easily !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58