Cracked transmission case?

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed a vibration that got exponentially worse over a day and put it on the lift and the bellhousing is cracked from about the 10 o'clock to 6 o'clock position...fun fun...now, what caused it? I am going to get a used transmission rebuilt by a local shop and hopefully that will last me another 200k, I just want to know if it was an imbalance that caused it or a bearing...the temps never got over 170 since I installed the converter, cooler, vb, and gauge 12k ago...but they most likely did before that. I will be checking the flexplate when I pull the trans.
Whaday'all think?
Jesse

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Has the tranny been removed before to your knowledge?

I know if not done right, a tranny bell housing can crack if bolts are tightened before the bell housing is tight & flush to the motor. Just ask my son. :doh: :doh:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Has the tranny been removed before to your knowledge?

I know if not done right, a tranny bell housing can crack if bolts are tightened before the bell housing is tight & flush to the motor. Just ask my son. :doh: :doh:

:doh: D'OH! :doh:

anyway, this is what I'd be looking at also

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trans was removed 12k ago and has been running fine up to yesterday. Will the vans have the same trans? Any gas engines? Pre-99 weren't 4r100, they were e4od right?
Driveshaft imbalance...I replaced all u-joints, front flange, and the u-joint "barrel" that holds two of them 10k ago, should it have been rebalanced?
Thanks,
Jesse

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Driveshaft imbalance...I replaced all u-joints, front flange, and the u-joint "barrel" that holds two of them 10k ago, should it have been rebalanced?
Thanks,
Jesse
I would have, because it's cheap insurance.. around here, they get like $35.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
The trans was removed 12k ago and has been running fine up to yesterday.

well, now that I'm coherent...
I've seen them break bolt ears or tabs off around the alignment dowels as TailGunner suggested, the last one I saw bust in half down the middle was due to, oh how am I gonna put this; "High torsional loads" in a drag car...

might want to put a fresh set of mounts (both engine & rear trans) on it when you put the new unit in..

do your downpipe while you have the trans out, also

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do my downpipe? I have a 4" downpipe in it. It didn't break the ears or dowels, it's about 8" from the mounting surface of the trans to the engine. I will inspect more once I pull it and keep y'all updated. For now, I really need to know which year/model vehicles have the same trans so I can call around the local yards. I thought the 96+ Powerstroke (van or truck) all had the 4r100?
Jesse

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
You need a 4R100 99 and up. Diesel only. It can come from a truck or a van.

Gas version will not work

Anything before 99 is the E4OD. This will not work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58