Cracked transmission case?

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have one for sale:) There's a 99 van with 96k on the clock, but the yard wants 750 for it...what should I do? For a used trans, what's a good price? What's a good price for someone to do a stock rebuild and transfer over my transfer case?
Update, the crack starts at the 6 o'clock and goes to the very tip of the bell behind the inspection cover and travels toward the back of the bell to where the bell meets the trans and gradually get's wider and disappears over top of the trans..I can't see any further. It must stop there because I don't see it on the other side of the trans.
Jesse

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Anyone have one for sale:) There's a 99 van with 96k on the clock, but the yard wants 750 for it...what should I do? For a used trans, what's a good price? What's a good price for someone to do a stock rebuild and transfer over my transfer case?
Update, the crack starts at the 6 o'clock and goes to the very tip of the bell behind the inspection cover and travels toward the back of the bell to where the bell meets the trans and gradually get's wider and disappears over top of the trans..I can't see any further. It must stop there because I don't see it on the other side of the trans.
Jesse

That's about the going rate for a junkyard tranny. Figure about 2k for a rebuild of that tranny. Check around your area for a good tranny shop.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2k just to rebuild a trans! How hard is it to transfer over the transfer case? I know everything has to come out, but is it pretty straightforward if I pay attention to how it came out? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, just never been in a trans.
Thanks,
Jesse

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
You need to yank everything out of the tranny if the tranny is from a 2wd.
Use the tail shaft from your 4wd tranny. Install it into the 2wd tranny.
Doing that you may as well rebuild it. Replace the wear parts with new parts.

If you find a good 4x4 tranny you can just stuff it in your truck.

To get an idea whats involved in a tranny rebuild. You can find ATSG tranny manuals on fleabay for about $15. bucks. You need the 4R100 manual.;tu

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much are the rebuild kits and does it require more specialized tools than feeler gauges? At 96k, this trans might be fine....and I told the ol' lady if I break another one I'm getting a new truck;) It sounds pretty straight-forward, removed everything to get the tailshaft out, put my tailshaft on and reinstall everything. Turns out a rebuild kit with Alto clutches, steel plates, all seals and heavy duty band is about $290 shipped..think I can install these while I'm pulling the tailshaft out? Anything else I should replace, solenoids, valves, etc? (know nothing about trans and will have to get that manual) I already have the Factorytech vb and converter.
Jesse

Last edited:

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
You can get the geartrain tool new for a couple of bucks more.

You can go the fleabay reman route too. Check them out carfully. So you don't get hosed. Check around your area for a rebuilder too.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I'll do the installation, not paying for someone elses headaches. Going to try to talk the yard owner down to a price that makes more sense to rebuild it myself.
Jesse

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14