Cracked transmission case?

Fatsix

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i lost 2 front u joins in a matter of 8 months and drove on them (doh). Possibly be the problem, but i dont see how tho. I would think it would take out the tailshaft bushings. Or crack the tailhousing/transfercase.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if I cut a groove into one side and then set the trans on it's bellhousing with tailshaft up and let it rest back to it's original position and then weld that side...then grind the back side and weld it...I might be ok. BUT...two things
A) might only be able to weld the exterior once it gets over the case unless I dismantle it
2) I need to determine what caused it and fix it...i.e. improper installation, driveshaft imbalance, flexplate imbalance, and I hope it's not converter imbalance. Is there any other cause of imbalance?
Jesse

Fatsix

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i was told by the welder who also welds up drag racing blocks that they only crack like that in hard wrecks. You said yours was rebuilt. Could have possibly gotten a bad case from wherever the installer got the trans from.. I would have to beleive that any type of centrifugal imbalance would take out the bearings... If the converter went out of balance you would know right away it would feel like its comming thru the floor, as my u joints did, cause i thought it was the converter.... A flexplate imbalance would also cause harm to the engine as well.....I had a pilot bearing fail on my transam at 11k miles... it welded itsself to the input shaft... it caused a slight imbalance and took out all the bearings and shafts...It sounded like marbles inside when i lugged it in low gear.

Fatsix

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
why not call brian at BTS. or bill at RacerX? I'm in the process of putting mine back together and got all my parts from Bill. He knows what hes talking about, wouldnt hurt to ask. Post some pics of the damage so we can see whats going on...

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTS and all the good companies are too far away. I never said it was rebuilt, I said I pulled the trans after 30k to replace the converter and then drove it another 2k and replaced the wore out u-joints and the u-joint yoke and flange (basically all parts that connect to the front of the shaft) and drove it 9k more to present. Those numbers are approx. but very close.
Jesse

Fatsix

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i meant... call them to ask what would cause the damage. the u joints seem to be common between both of our cases.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The crack starts from 6, goes at a 45* angle to the 10 o'clock position at the reinforcement rib where the bell meets the trans and goes all the way around to the 3 o'clock position. The wife took the camera to NYC, so I can't take pics. I found my driveshaft bolts way loose and one was missing, unsure if this was a cause or effect...I'm thinking this was the cause, but not 100%. Still sitting the fence on welding the case up, will take another look at it tomorrow to make a definitive decision based on the location of the cracks and how thorough the weld can be, but I think both sides of the crack can be welded on all the way around, so I might be good.
Updates to come,
Jesse

Fatsix

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
gassers have a different bellhousing bolt pattern. You can convert to a 4r100 if you get a good enough deal on it. If you feel the internals are good, why nut just weld it and go?

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It already is a 4R100, so no conversion needed there. I thought the cracks went into the case, but they stay in the bellhousing right over the pump plate and actually go all the way down to the dipstick...I almost ripped the bell off! I am dropping it off at a welding shop tonight.
Jesse

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
orion_134, I would not waste the time fixing it. If it cracked like what you said. It's not going to last. There is most likely spider cracks, theres not a time frame on when it would give out A nother housing would be the safestway to go. Look at the motor mounts and see if one or both are broken. My race truck would bust C-4 and C-6 tranny housing all the time. The motor mounts would give out and twist the the trannys and snap the bell housing and/or the tail housing. The other thing has anything hit the back of the trans. like bottem out the truck on a stump or something in that range? That would be the only other thing that could bust the housing like that.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58