Cracked transmission case?

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heh, I hear you on the time frame, but I told the ol' lady if it breaks again I'm getting a new truck:) I will check the engine mounts as well. Is it a visual inspection or is there a way I can test the mounts?
Jesse

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a way to lift the motor and see if there torn or oil soaked. I have a fork lift and some chain to do it most of the time, a floor jack and a chunk of 4x4 may work if you can get the lip of the oil pan on one side and lift to see what you have. If JLDickmon or Bush chime in they may know a better way to test.

Last edited:

Fatsix

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
since the trans is out, you should be able to jack the engine anyway you want to see if they lift off the frame.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had it welded up today, can't believe the crack went all the way around to the dipstick...Now to find a place to check my driveshaft and to pull the flexplate and inspect it for cracks around the bolts.
When attaching the transfer case back to the trans (took it off to make it easier to maneuver) it looks like a buttload of silicone was used, is that all there is to it? Any torque specs to the transfer case bolts? Flexplate bolts?
Thanks y'all,
Jesse

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Had it welded up today, can't believe the crack went all the way around to the dipstick...Now to find a place to check my driveshaft and to pull the flexplate and inspect it for cracks around the bolts.
When attaching the transfer case back to the trans (took it off to make it easier to maneuver) it looks like a buttload of silicone was used, is that all there is to it? Any torque specs to the transfer case bolts? Flexplate bolts?
Thanks y'all,
Jesse

Torque spec for transfer case is 37 lb ft. Your favorite auto parts joint can get a gasket for you.

Flex plate is 89lb ft.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put er back together after welding it up and she runs like a top. I'll bet that because I didn't use locktite and just a small wrench to put on the driveshaft last time that the bolts worked themselves out and that was the vibration and that's what caused it...we'll see though.
Jesse

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Put er back together after welding it up and she runs like a top. I'll bet that because I didn't use locktite and just a small wrench to put on the driveshaft last time that the bolts worked themselves out and that was the vibration and that's what caused it...we'll see though.
Jesse

Worked out good.:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58