Dodge 5.9 vs ford 6.0 in MPG

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
My uncle has an 05 SRW Ram 3500 4X4 with clod air intake, and dual turbo back 4" MBRP exhaust with no cat and 35" tires. At 55, which is the speed his truck get the best MPG at, he get about 20-22 on the highway.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of some of the older 5.9's getting 25 mph on the highway. I'm sure the 250 PSD's would get a little better mileage if they had the 3.55 axle (as they did with the OBS) instead of the 3.73. But then the towing capability would be less.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have gotten 20.5 mpg in my truck, so anything is possible.

Dave

That's true. Several years ago I almost got 21 on my 250. Going to take a trip to Louisiana tomorrow to take my mom back home. We'll see how it does then. That will be a 700+ mile round trip with a few stops along the way, so I'll probably be doing good to get 19.5.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your friend needs to step away from the crack pipe. I'm calling BS on it. Tell him to show you some supportingl documentation for these claims. My best ever is 22.5 MPG and that was babying it driving slow and stead on a trip.

Yep, he definitely needs to show you the documentation.

walter.dreyer

Flashover
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm a total newbie, both to diesels, and to this forum. I also wonder what's up with my truck. I have a 2003 F250 6.0 crew cab 4X4, automatic tranny, 56,000 miles with 285/75-16's. 4" aftermarket exhaust. Stock Tune, and a tonneau cover. I keep hearing I should be getting 20 MPG. I've been getting 15-17. I installed a Banks Six Gun tuner, and their Ram-Air intake. On upper settings I have a great power increase, but on lower settings(3or2) I'm still seeing 17-15 MPG. Any ideas? I was told that a low fuel pressure could cause low fuel milage by an aquaintance,(a duramax guy) But I have no idea how to even check this. Also the MPG calcs are by me when I fill up. I've always had gas engines, this diesel world is all new to me. The first thing I thought of was to change the fuel filter, but I'm not sure where it is.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:SDD Walter. Your mileage is good. Any talk of 20 mpg is too high for your truck. I don't care what Dodge gets. You can get closer to 20 MPG if you drive it very carefully (boring). I have gotten almost 21 MPG but that was a one time deal. Also don't rely on your Overhead console for mileage. We call that device the Lie-O-Meter, use good old hand written math to figure your mileage.

Dave:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58