photos EGR and Oil Cooler Replacement in Pictures

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to locate the ICP. I thought it was on the back of the engine but according to Fomoco it is on the left valve cover in the front area of the engine. Does anyone know where it actually is suppose to be of a 11/03 born 2004 model?

I also bought Shell Rotella ELC today to change out the coolant. I wanted to use CAT ELC but at $25 per gallon and Shell was $14 per, I decided Shell was OK to use.

I'm also thinking of changing to DELO full Synthetic as I have the most oil you can drain out of the engine at this point so it would be a good time to convert. I have usually been a Mobil 1 person but it's price has skyrocketed. DELO syn is $19.88 a gallon. I can take back all my delvac and trade for DELO for about a $15 increase per oil change.

Who is using DELO full synthetic?

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its an 04 it should be on front pass side of the engine valley, kind of where the alternator is, threaded into the HP oil rail. If it is an older engine it is right under where the turbo mounts, center rear engine valley, on the hpop cover just behind the ipr. Not sure when in 04 they changed the location though.

Last edited:

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly where it is shown on the drawing I just got today from dealer. It must be the valve cover gaskets then. I will look more Saturday when I get back home.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smoky, if you have the extra money I would go ahead and stud the heads and do the HG. BUT youll have to lift the body or pull the motor to do it.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think I am going to do the head gaskets at this time. I may wish that I had but I cant see where they are needed on my truck. It would sure help with piece of mind to know that the heads were taken care of but I just cant see putting that much money into something that isnt broken. I have looked at it again today and I can not see where the head gaskets have failed. I have yet to determine where the oil may have been coming from. I would think it has to be the valve cover gaskets if anything since the ICP is no longer located at the back of the engine valley.

I believe if you remove the heater from the firewall you would have enough room to pull the heads and room enough to put studs in with enough room to set the heads back on. I will still talk with my mechanic about the oil leak to get his opinon on it.

Anyone have anymore ideas on things to check?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think you don't have the vertical clearance to get the heads off. I have heard of a guy who lifted the body a few inches to get the heads off.

Dave

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just read this below:

What do you guys think?

2003-2004 Oil Leak from Head Gasket:
Some engine may exhibit what appears to be an oil leak from the head gasket. Since there is no pressurised oil at the head gasket, a leak at this location is unlikely. Inspect the following area instead: turbo oil feed and return, oil cooler, HP oil pump cover, ICP sensor, IPR valve, valve cover gasket, rocket carrier gasket, Injector and glow plug ports and crankcase breather port. Use florescent dye and an UV lamp to pinpoint the source of the leak. If the leak is from the head gasket, the head should be removed and it and the block checked for flatness. Broadcast Message 0873.