photos EGR and Oil Cooler Replacement in Pictures

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smoky, my man! You are an inspiration!

I have some good buds at in Starkville...next time I visit I gotta make time to meet you. (One at ARS and one working at MSU).

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just don't know how sickening it was last night to try to crank it and not be able to get enough voltage to it to get it to fire and RUN. Waiting all night and half a day to check it again was a teriible wait. When I went outside at lunch, the upper radiator hose was good and warm so I knew the new Rotella T6 oil was going to be warmed up as well. It has been cool 35 degree nights here this week so everything was slow to act. I also realized that I had drained alot of oil from the HPOP area and the new oil needed to get primed as well. Drove to the football game tonight to call it on the radio and no problems thus far. I will run for about a week to make sure no coolant leakes occurr and will then flush and fill the cooling system with Rotella ELC. I plan on posting additional information on cost for doing this work myself. God sure has been good to me!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I KNOW that feeling Smoky :lmao

It would be interesting to know the DIY cost, just parts.. as compared to.. say.. A Ford Dealer's cost.. Parts & Labor, for the same repair job ?

Joe

Burtom

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well I started the teardown this week and here are pictures from work thru the Night of October 20th. I started earlier in the week removing the Batteries, charge pipes, Alternator, plastic anything and pulling the wiring harness up out of the way. When I couldnt break the right turbo bolt, I figured I would wait until the mechanis could get to the house today (Saturday Oct 20) to remove anything else. I wanted to delete the EGR but he didnt recommend deleting anything as it may car parts cause resale problems later with the possibility of the CEL on. I am getting ready to order the part tonight online so hopefully they will be here by next Saturday for installation. Im going the Sinister route.

View attachment 12795View attachment 12796View attachment 12797View attachment 12798View attachment 12799View attachment 12800View attachment 12801View attachment 12802View attachment 12803View attachment 12804View attachment 12805View attachment 12806View attachment 12807

hello I think I am not late to reply but can you share final results of your project?

Last edited:

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can try to update eveyone on the cost and how it has turned out. First of all the cost:

Sinister EGR and Oil Cooler kit with Coolant Filter - $869.00
Map Sensor - FOMOCO - $59 (don't break itand you wont have to buy a new one)
Blue Spring Kit - FOMOCO - $64
T6 Oil - $80
MC Filter - $20
FICM Rebuild - EDS - $375
Coolant Filter - $8.00
Glow Plug Harness - FOMOCO - $114
Rotella Coolant - Navistar Store - $80
Cleaning & Shop Supplies - $50 (extra broken bolt, lost nuts included locitite, no seize degreaser solvent paint)
NAPA New Water Pump and Belt - $235
Intake Boiling (independent Head Shop) - $42
Water Pump Labor $218
Initial Helper labor - $100
Distilled Water - $32

Parts - $2204
Labor - $360 (includes shop labor to boil intake)

Total Build $2564. This does not include my time and labor but I think this worked out good for me nor does it include a lot of prayer, running aound to gather up things ad worry. I WOULD DO IT AGAIN!

The truck is running great. I have put about 12K on it since this time and no problems. I have also dropped about $988 on a new set of tires last month so Ive put about $3500 into the truck in recent months. It only has about 124K on it so a good reinvestment.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
For the cost of a NEW TRUCK, that is a great investment. I am in the same position as you are. :thumbs

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58