photos EGR and Oil Cooler Replacement in Pictures

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
Living in California I too have to go through SMOG, I too installed the EGR / EGR cooler delete. I went through TWO EGR coolers before I had had enough and installed the EGR delete kit. I did not install the cover plate for the EGR valve though. I broke out the saws all and cut the lower half of the EGR valve and re-installed it so it looks like it there (although it serves no purpose except for looks) for the smog inspections.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Continued Pictures of EGR and Oil Cooler replacement

Well last night and a little today I decided to do a little on the 6.0 L. Since I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach from where something or some idiot burned down my old high school last night I thought piddling around in the shop would make me feel better.

Here are some pictures:

View attachment 12823View attachment 12824View attachment 12825View attachment 12826View attachment 12827View attachment 12828View attachment 12829View attachment 12830View attachment 12831View attachment 12832View attachment 12833View attachment 12833View attachment 12834

I am right proud that I think all of my tools are accounted for and back in the drawer. I bit the bullet and changed to Synthetic oil. I was going to go the DELO syn route but my Walmart would not inventory it for me. They had plenty of the Rotella Syn but it was $21.36 /gal until I showed them the TSC sale had it for $19.99. They ad matched it for me and took my stash of Delvac in on trade. I swapped with them and wound up with 12 gals of Rotella 5W40.

I am also changing the coolant to Rotella ELC which was $13.96 at my International dealer as opposed to $25 at my local CAT Dealer for CAT ELC.

I had the manifold boiled out at a head shop on the coast 2 hours away but I had to trip off down there anyway for a conference. $42 made it look new. I would have hated to have cleaned my EGR valve up so nicely only to have stuck it back into that nasty carbon filled hole.

I decided I better put a little trickle charge the Bosch Batteries as they have been out of the truck for over 2 weeks and we have been around high 30's at night here in South MS.

I removed the battery trays and cleaned and scraped them until they looked better then a nice coat of hammered silver paint made them look new again. A little heat paint on the turbo pedistal made it even lok a little better.

Im still proud of my MSU Dawgs even though they forgot to show up in Tuscaloosa last evening. Now if we can find the new MSU team and Welcome Texas A&M to Starkville this coming Saturday???????

Stay Tuned, The parts should be here Monday.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I ran into a few other problems ever so minor but here they are:

The back bolt (vertical) one the turbo would not start threading. I have use a pointed probe and the hole is as perfectly lined up as I can possibly believe one could be lined up. The threads will not catch to start. I noticed the front bolt was the same way and the only way I could start is was to put pressure against it and turn at the same time. I thought I had them all started before tightening any of them but no such luck. I am going to put a smaller bolt in that will go through the hold with a nut and bolt it down that way. I feel better if all three corners are bolted along with the two v-clamps to hold the turbo in place.

I broke an intake manifold bolt while trying to torque the intake. Believe it or not the dealer didnt even have one but National Bolt and Screw did.

Last night I worked until 11:00 PM until the ole knee and ankle just couldnt stand any more and had to call it a night. The vacum hose on the passenger intake was broken off from somewhere when I discovered it so therefore I had no Idead where it went to. I narrowed down the possibilities based on where it would reach to and discovered it went to the MAP Sensor. Of course the nipple it plugged into was broken off so I ordered a new sensor today.

The alternator is back in place but haven put the belt back on yet.

I tried to get the small o-rings that go where the fuel lines bolt to the top Fuel Filter assembly. Of course the dealership wants you to buy the $36 kit to get the orings.

I had to try to make a living today and wound up in a hotel out of town for an early meeting tomorrow but I sure am ready to hear the 6.0 purr. I really hope she will with no leaks or other problems.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got it all back together today without having any nuts or bolts left over. Only problem now is that she will crank and fire but will not stay running. I had to switch the key on and off about 5 times to ensure the fuel had cleared as much air as possible. When I first turned the key on the check gauge light and battery light stayed on. I think my batteries were weak from sitting out of the truck for 4 weeks. I put the charger on for tonight and the first battery said the battery voltage was 12.6. I assume that I need really hot batteries to keep the voltage high for the FICM.

The batteries are Bosch 1000 AMP and are only 47 months old. The are 96 month batteries.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after charging the batteries on a slow 2.0 amp charge all night and half the day (automatic charger), plugging the truck in for 14 hours to warm it up, it cranked on the first hard turn of the day. It had a little air in the fuel but worked itself out witin a few seconds. Ran fine with no leaks from the work performed. The upper radiator hose is going to be replaced as it has a bubble coming around it at the radiator. The coolant filter went on easy enough but would have been easier had I installed the T fitting in the back prior to putting the charge pipe back on to the turbo. Had to remove it to put the Tee on. The good Lord answers prayers for sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64