egr delete ???

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EGR Delete

Keith;

There is alot of info flying around about pros and cons of EGR delete. I don't want any trade secrets, but can you explain under what conditions the EGR normally operates, and what has to be done wrt computer operations to allow the EGR to be shut off without negatively affecting the engine under all operating conditions.

Finally - can you produce a tune that only affects EGR operation - i.e other operating parameters are stock? The reason is that I like idea of EGR delete, but I am happy with the operation of the engine otherwise - I don't want the engine to produce more than stock power - but I like the idea of lower egts.

Thanks

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry Jetpilot1 for not replying sooner. Most of the tuners for the SCT "build" tunes based on your computer's strategy. To have just the EGR turned off you would need to ask a tuner. You could get an economy tune that will give you a little more power. Also lock up the convertor at 40MPH with continous lock up on the downshifts.

Keith

jasonfrenchsr

THE BOSS 6.0
Reaction score
egr

is it true if u unplug ur egr that you can be running lean ? i heard it can make ur eng. temp run high?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am not sure where you got your information from. Diesels run RICH to make higher EGTs. There is no lean in a diesel, only a little power, more power and all power; and that is determined by the amount of fuel and NOT the fuel to air ratio. It can get confusing after running a gas motor for all of those years.

Dave :)

CCSBD

Diesel Power
Reaction score
The EGR delete is a great mod to do!!

Pros-helps egts, helps with the risk of blowing hg's, helps save oil cooler, some people say it helps with spoolup time and throttle response?

Cons-Voids warranty

It will only throw a code on 05+ without a custom tune. Also even if you get it turned off with a tuner it can still fail and you could still potentially have problems :(

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another con...
If you operate in cold climates, it will take your truck a little longer to warm up.

CCSBD

Diesel Power
Reaction score
Another con...
If you operate in cold climates, it will take your truck a little longer to warm up.

Yea I see that cause the exhaust isnt heating the coolant anymore. But yea if you plug it in you should be fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58