egr valve is anybody having problems

VIZARD

"Saddle up!"
Reaction score
Try it and see. If the CEL doesn't come on your are OK.

IMO, we should all weld the goofy thing shut anyway.

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It needs to be unplugged while the motor is shut off, correct? If I do get a CEL, How can I reset it without a scan tool?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is interesting, I have heard that the power goes down a bit, but the mileage goes up. I have not tried mine as it runs just fine.

Dave

VIZARD

"Saddle up!"
Reaction score
IMO, MPG gain / power / less turbo lag are all potential side benefits of disabling the EGR Valve but, should not be the primary justification. The primary purpose is to remove the opportunity to throw junk into your already highly sensitive hi tech system.

In addition, if it does stick open it seems a cascade effect ensues creating any # of other problems all the way to and including the turbo.

Pile Buck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
That is interesting, I have heard that the power goes down a bit, but the mileage goes up. I have not tried mine as it runs just fine.

Dave
Well Dave in my case the power increased substantially. If anything my mileage maybe went down 1/10- of a mile. Now here’s my story and I’m sticking to it. My buddy Jack has a 2000 Dodge w/ Cummins w/ auto w/ 4:10 gears. Before I plugged in a phony EGR I could never catch him in the passes / mountains going to and from Eastern Washington. Just last month we went for our annual hay runs to Eastern Washington. I carry 4-tons of hay on the bed, Jack has a trailer, which combined with pickup and trailer he also carries 4-tons. Last year Jack thought it was funny that I could never catch him, this year you should hear all the whining, he’s talking about a chip, going to the next series Cummins (motor home), and even talking about buying an F450. Now see I don’t think it’s much of a victory, because Jack’s Cummins is only 235 hp, but my truck weighs 12,000. empty! Now where Jack gets upset is, I have to slow down in the corners, because the load of hay is just under 12-feet high, but once I come out of the corners, I can run him down at will. Also I finely got a handle on that darn intercooler hose blowing off. I can hit up to 34-pounds of boost for just a split second, and hit 28,29 all the time with heavy loads, and yet to have anymore problems with it, since going to aftermarket hoses, exhaust clamps, and turn buckles :thumbs

Pile Buck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
VIZARD said:
Great post Pile Buck...You da Man!
Well thank you VIZARD :thanks ! Here are some pictures of a little project we did, to upgrade Jack’s bumper pull trailer, thought you guys might appreciate all the work that goes into making one of these gooseneck adapters. Sorry I don’t hang out here much, stay on the welding forums more than I should :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58