egr valve is anybody having problems

Pile Buck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
WOW, you guys need to do your self’s a favor. Buy another EGR, mount it somewhere with zip ties, and plug the wiring harness into the new / phony EGR. Once I did this, I could not believe the difference in power. With a phony EGR in place the on board computer only knows the EGR is opening and closing as told, but nothing else. :thumbs

Owen

That's my first name.....
Reaction score
Like the idea PB, just wonder if the truck would pass emmisions when the time came up. Course you would just plug the connector into the real one, but then there might be a bunch of build-up in there and cause something really bad to happen to the intake system if some sort of chunks fly off in get lodged into the intake... Yet I really like the idea. I am guessing that an EGR valve would run around $150 bones...??? Seems worth it to keep expent exhaust out of the combustion chamber that probably causing all my problems.

d.welch1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does it have any effect on fuel economy? good or bad?

Pile Buck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Owen, and you may have a point! :)

d.welch1 I’ve only checked my mileage a couple times. The first time, I was so shocked I really didn’t want to ever do it again. Checked it one time after the phony EGR, down only a 10th or so. Now for the bad news, no one laugh. Hauling 4-tons of hay over the mountains from Eastern Washington to Western Washington, 9 MPG going over empty, 12 MPG. OUCH :confused:

VIZARD

"Saddle up!"
Reaction score
OWEN: Sorry for the late response to your question but, I got more than a little involved with the oats and barley syndrome last night. Wouldn't have been very coherent anyway. As it turns out.

I actually experienced, perceived anyway, reduced turbo lag and a feeling of enhanced throttle response when I disengaged the EGR Valve. Hard to tell if there was an impact either way on MPG as I drive somewhat aggressive as it is.

IMO, with the EGR Valve closed (on the '03 / '04 anyway) the air flow is completely cut off thereby reducing the opportunity for the accumulation or build up of carboned deposits on or around the closed valve. I am sure there would be some but, none that I am concerned about. In fact, I addressed this potential issue with a couple of techs last year and they both felt there would be no appreciative trash build ups.

Again, IMO: Reintroducing carbon, soot, unburned fuels, and other trash into an already sensitive high tech design is a prescription for failure of many components.

OWEN, your average EGR Valve replacement rate is one every 3,500 miles. Is this acceptable to you? If you had a brand X tire that went flat every 3,500 miles would you change your tire strategy?

I presently have almost 19,000 trouble free miles on my truck. I attribute this to the cumulative effect of good fortune, EGR Valve dissconnect, syn oil, and a quality fuel additive at each and every fuel up.

I have read that the 6.0 was designed for optimal performace at a cetane rating of 47 and above. Cetane ratings vary significantly across the country. If the national average is 45 (as I have also read) then there are obviously some poor quality low cetane rated fuels out there on the street. In the DFW area the EPA / state has mandated thate all diesel offered in the 9 county area has a 48 cetane rating.

I am convinced that the inclusion of quality fuel additives, at every fueling, provides cleaner, smoother start ups, enhanced lubricity, extended injector life etc.

Well, there I go again, sorry for yet another soap box. Some topics are very fluid and one subject often trails into another. In any case, all this is in my humble opinion. Disengaging the EGR Valve is a personal choice much like the addition of mods. It has, to date, worked very well for me.

Owen

Reaction score
Vizard, Thanks for the reponse. I think you are right about the buildup around the EGR valve, but just was mostly thinking about buildup in the EGR cooler that could break loose. I often find in myself that my hands do not type what I am thinking... This EGR system is totally faulty and has no business in a diesel engine. I also add cetane boost to my fuel and have been doing so for the last 3000miles, with the EGR connected and still issues. I am going to unplug it again today, as 5 EGR's in my truck's history does not sit well with me - as you have pointed out. You have brought up a very interesting point though.... Syntheic oil. I have noticed oil residue around my CAC tubes around the intercooler - think that is coming from the crank case vent... anyhow, that has to be adding to my build-up of junk inside the engine. (I am an engineer my trade, so my mind is constantly spinning) I have run Chevron Delo 400 15W40 all along in my truck. I know Ford doesn't like Rotella T for some reason or another, yet Rotella is ANSI certified...just am chalking that up to Ford not owning Rotella stock... getting back to the point here, What synthetic oil do you use? I know that sys oil will help pull heat out the engine better, but of all the sys oils that I have run in the past, after awhile, they all ate thru my gaskets causing oil leaks. This has been on gas engines though and am just not all that crazy about having to do complete engine tear-downs to replace gaskets every 30,000miles as what happened to me before... course those gaskets could have been bad from before I added the sys oil, but was told by a mechanic that did my engine rehaul that the sys oil ate up my gaskets...

VIZARD

"Saddle up!"
Reaction score
I use Mobil 1 Truck & SUV. About $ 20.00 / per 5 quart bottle @ Walmart.

Changed over to syn oil @ 10,000 miles. Seems to run smoother but, the additional break in miles could impact that as well.

With these engines I would not be concerned with syn oils affecting seal / gasket life. I remember in the olden days though that there were some issues with seal longevity on older vehicles. Rubber seals got soft and eventually failed.

teamroper60

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
VIZARD said:
I use Mobil 1 Truck & SUV. About $ 20.00 / per 5 quart bottle @ Walmart.

Changed over to syn oil @ 10,000 miles. Seems to run smoother but, the additional break in miles could impact that as well.

With these engines I would not be concerned with syn oils affecting seal / gasket life. I remember in the olden days though that there were some issues with seal longevity on older vehicles. Rubber seals got soft and eventually failed.

These engines LOVE synthetic oil!! I have been running synthetic since it's first oil change at 5,000 miles. I have never experienced the oil related romps that others got back in the day... :sweet

BTW, I had one EGR replaced at about 19,000 miles.......

:cowboy:

Moe-B

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Pile Buck said:
With a phony EGR in place the on board computer only knows the EGR is opening and closing as told, but nothing else.
I believe it will also throw an "insufficient flow" code (P0401). In my county, the emissions testing stations now plug into the OBD jack on newer vehicles, including diesels. I wonder if the P0401 code would pass. :dunno

Owen

Reaction score
Whoa!!! that's the first time I've heard of them plugging into the computer while emissions testing.... I think that's too invasive!!! I want to keep the gov out of my truck!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58