egr valve is anybody having problems

Puddle Pirate

Will Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the EGR valve looks like and where it's located. A pic would be great.

I have heard that there were two versions. The first one, as I understand it was prone to clogging and was replaced by an EGR valve that resisted that and was white in color.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Pile Buck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Puddle Pirate said:
Can anyone tell me what the EGR valve looks like and where it's located. A pic would be great.

I have heard that there were two versions. The first one, as I understand it was prone to clogging and was replaced by an EGR valve that resisted that and was white in color.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
Here you go, the red arrow is the original EGR, the yellow arrow is the phony one

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rock_doctor said:
The egr on my X was replaced last week with 4,200 miles on the clock. Mech said it was clogged... :dunno

mark

I quoted the post above, but I know many others have this issue as well.

I am a firm believer that using a quality fuel additive that lubricates the injectors (due to low sulfur fuel) and assisting in a cleaner burn is what makes certain peoples trucks run well, and others that do not run poorly. The cleaner I burn helps reduce carbon deposits on the EVR valve... when it plugs, it plugs!!! Running on the highway for a period will clean some of this out as well. Extended ideling is bad for EGR valved motors and is not recommended (look around on the internet). The low idle speed does not produce enough heat to keep the carbon off the EGR valve body and it will then stick!!!

I run PowerService in the grey bottle (full strength) - 32oz per 44 gallons (only needs 1/2 of this amount for 50 galloins. Others use other brands, but making for a cleaner burn and lubrication issues are key with the crappy low sulfur fuel we all have to use (and it will get worse due to the EPA).

I have 53,000 trouble free miles on my 2003 Excursion.

Good luck,

Jeff

VIZARD

"Saddle up!"
Reaction score
I run Power Service as well. But, then again, I also disabled my EGR Valve some time ago. Quite some time ago actually.

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VIZARD said:
I run Power Service as well. But, then again, I also disabled my EGR Valve some time ago. Quite some time ago actually.
Does unplugging the EGR cause a CEL? If not, are there any increases/decreases in mileage/perfromance?

VIZARD

"Saddle up!"
Reaction score
It has on some '05 models and most if not a California emmisions engines for '03 / '04 / '05.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58