Ford -vs- Dodge fuel mileage

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
Same experience here. Ran with a friend for a month this winter hauling FEMA to Baton Rouge La. My 6.0 got 9 mpg towing, his Dodge Cummins, 12 mpg. Running empty i could barely squeeze 18 and he was getting 22. Mine had around 100K miles at the time and his had 40K. Both trucks are set up IDENTICLE but mine is about 500# heavier. With my issues i am going to plant a 24 valve cummins in my superduty before long................. My 92 Explorer 4x4 gets 21-22 on the highway with 118K on da clock!

Last edited:

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
This 2006 Ford F550 is now powered by a 2002 Cummins Diesel and an NV5600. Add ons included injectors, larger turbo and elbow (pictured), fass fuel pump, Banks intercooler,
US Gear, Pacbrake, Edge Comp Module. The ex-6.0 powerstroke electronics were a challenge but after experimenting and guidance from Doug @ Automate here in Great Falls and Tom Ackerson's knowledge and help, we were able to get ALL the Ford electronics working (guages pictured working the day he left) including the tach and cruise control. Rolland Rapley in the shop worked very hard on this project which came out awesome.
It went home with Rick N. to Elk Grove, CA,
the first week of March after it was in a local car show (pictured). It will be shown in Vegas in May @ the diesel truck show.

IMAG081A.JPG

IMAG079A.JPG

INTERNATIONALPOWER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lvtitan said:
actually dodge has no say so in where a cummins engine goes. dodge does not own cummins.
and yes there are many medium/heavy duty fords out there with cummins motors.
but at least ford makes a diesel.
when dodge needed a diesel, they called cummins.
when chevy needed a diesel they called isuzu.
when ford needed a diesel, they built one.

Heres some info for ya

Chevy Owns Isuzu which makes the Durapad
International Makes the Powerstroke Not Ford

INTERNATIONALPOWER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BubbaNtx said:
Have you seen Any manufacture that puts smaller tires on there Rigs and then they can Say how many Miles per gallon. Looks good with the Bigger tires but Milage will be effected Just my 2 Cents Bubba

Actually Smaller Tires would create more rotations per mile actually equalling less miles per gallon. Trust me we ran low pros to see if the semis would get any better fuel mileage and it just didnt happen.

The sad thing is all this emmisions bull is actually hurting mileage. Our old fld freightliners get 7.89 to 8.31 miles to the gallon with M-11's in um, the ISX gets 5.78-6.24 if your lucky. This is our fleet avg.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Large tires (wide)

When I said that larger tires increase drag (friction), I meant wider tires. If you look at solar vehicles, you see that they have tall, very narrow hard rubber tires on thin, very aerodynamic wheels which are the best design for good mileage. There is a point of diminishing return on a taller truck tire because of the increased weight of the taller tire.
For real world fuel savings in our situations, a standard tire that is narrow and inflated to maximum pressure will give you the best mpg.
When we put on the real wide, tall, heavy "mud bogger" type tires, we will see a reduction in mpg.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64