Ford -vs- Dodge fuel mileage

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
Maxtor said:
I do not know what you guys are doing to get 13-15 mpg, but I have never got less then 17.8 mpg empty. Most of the time it is 18.2 to 18.8 mpg. I have two friends that have stock Dodge trucks, and they both get 20 to 22 mpg empty. I agree with Bartman that said that overall Ford trucks are by far the best out there. So what if a six cylinder gets a little better mileage than we do. I would not change to a Dodge just for better mileage. Don't drag race from a stop light, and keep the rpm's around 1950 to 2000 and your mileage should get a lot better. If you have a differential of around 3.73 and not 4.11 your mileage should be around 18 mpg empty.
i have 3.73's and drive like an old lady and get 10-11mpg empty even on the freeway...

dieselp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i call bs on 23 mpg 6.0 is it hand calculated or the computer all programs minipulate the mpg's in the computer

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lift and large tires.

I would suspect that the lift and large tires are creating enough drag to reduce your mileage significantly. With standard tires you can increase mileage just by inflating the tires to the maximum pressure, so if you have very large and wide tires it should cause a large reduction in mpg, along with the added air turbulence and drag of the raised truck.

superdutyfan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
dieselp said:
i call bs on 23 mpg 6.0 is it hand calculated or the computer all programs minipulate the mpg's in the computer

I don't think it is impossible. A friend of mine gets 21 mpg all around. BUT it is a regular cab, 2 wheel drive with manual trans and he runs it empty most of the time. He also has a lite foot. I have a CC 4 wheel drive with auto trans and 3.73 gears. I get 15 all around. The terrain where you live has a HUGE impact on MPG. Flat terrain equals great mpg. Mountainous terrain very bad. Heavy foot will burn fuel really fast.

PA 6.0

New without a clue
Reaction score
Brand new 06' CC LB 6.0 auto w/3.73. First tank, hand calculated to 17.5 mpg. 506 miles on 29 gallons. This included a lot of break in type, "throttle variation driving" and even a few miles with a small 2000-2500 lb "break in load". I'm thrilled since the best I could ever pull off with my little 4.6 Explorer w/3.55 was 19 mpg on a couple hundred mile highway trip. The same type of driving that got me 17.5 on my FIRST tank with the Stroker could never muster up more than about 16 or so with the Ex. Forget it when I put my sleds behing it! Good ridance to that gasser!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You are in for more surprises. Try to wipe that smile off your face every time you drive your new truck. Your mileage will drop as time goes on, but it will come back as the engine and truck are broken in, about 15,000 miles.

Dave

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PA 6.0

Seems like a lot of us PSD owners also have Explorers. I also found that my 4.0 sohc 1997 explorer only gets 16 mpg at 70 mph on the freeway, while our 06 PSD gets 18+ mpg at 70 mph.
In and around town, keeping the speed no more than 60 mph. we get around 18 to 20 mpg with the explorer. I have not tried to go that slow with the PSD yet to see what the mpg would be.

BubbaNtx

BubbaNtx
Reaction score
Look at dodge Tires

Have you seen Any manufacture that puts smaller tires on there Rigs and then they can Say how many Miles per gallon. Looks good with the Bigger tires but Milage will be effected Just my 2 Cents Bubba

superdutyfan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
PA 6.0 That is the nicest truck I've ever seen. Oh wait, it's the twin of mine! Nice truck!!!!!

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20.08 mpg

I finally got 20 mpg.... Today went on a trip 355.5 miles and filled up with 17.7 gallons of diesel.... this is 20.08 mpg... I drove in (od) (manual trans) at 1800 rpm which is around 62-63 mph on cruise. So 20 mpg can be done if you go slow enough. In this case the route I took was not on the freeway and speed limit was 65 mph, so it was a comfortable nice drive. 299 to Alturas, Susanville, Eagle lake, are all very beautiful this time of year. The fall colors are out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58