Ford -vs- Dodge fuel mileage

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
ranger boy said:
Psh yeah right like dodge would ever let cummins put their engine in a ford? doubt it...
actually dodge has no say so in where a cummins engine goes. dodge does not own cummins.
and yes there are many medium/heavy duty fords out there with cummins motors.
but at least ford makes a diesel.
when dodge needed a diesel, they called cummins.
when chevy needed a diesel they called isuzu.
when ford needed a diesel, they built one.

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
rgdillon said:
After testing and having several other chips/boxes/etc - I am thrilled with my Quadzilla (160). Does it make the most power? No - but it makes more than I need - most importantly it delivers really good fuel mileage. Interstate driving I get in the low 20's . . . My last trip up to Springfield MA and back all in one day - I averaged 21 up there and 23 coming back. This is pulling a 26 foot trailer with a Jeep Cherokee on it up there and empty trailer back.

The Quad box is very smooth. You don't even know you have a box installed unless you ask for it - then it gives it to you. Installation is under 10 minutes - no wires to cut - harness fits perfectly and looks like it's suppose to be there. Several safety features - it will not even kick in until the engine temps reach normal. If the oil and water temps get to far apart - it defaults to stock. Any faults and it returns to stock. I've just been really impressed with it - last box I will ever use.

Ron
rg i am interested in finding a good tuner for my PS. can you give me more info on this chip/box. does it use any egt probes or anthing like that? i already have a pyrometer sending probe in my downpipe but it's not hooked up to anything right now. looking for similar results to what you posted here.. .thanks.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
lvtitan said:
actually dodge has no say so in where a cummins engine goes. dodge does not own cummins.

when ford needed a diesel, they built one.

NOT true. Where do you think Ford gets it diesels from? Navistar or International - they are the same company. Ford builds as many diesel engines as does Dodge or Chevy - NONE.

Dave

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
various mileages

I do not know what you guys are doing to get 13-15 mpg, but I have never got less then 17.8 mpg empty. Most of the time it is 18.2 to 18.8 mpg. I have two friends that have stock Dodge trucks, and they both get 20 to 22 mpg empty. I agree with Bartman that said that overall Ford trucks are by far the best out there. So what if a six cylinder gets a little better mileage than we do. I would not change to a Dodge just for better mileage. Don't drag race from a stop light, and keep the rpm's around 1950 to 2000 and your mileage should get a lot better. If you have a differential of around 3.73 and not 4.11 your mileage should be around 18 mpg empty.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
fordtrucker4life! said:
ford did build diesels in the 90's mainly inline sixes 5.9 and above

That is not the point. They do not build diesel engines for pickem up trucks. They also made airplanes once upon a time.

Dave

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford owns the controlling interest in Cummins now so in 2008 you won't see Cummins in Dodge's anymore.

Dodge will be using the diesel engines that are built by Mercedes Benz. I can see Dodge sales plummet once the Cummins is no longer available.

If the 6.4 Navistar / International has as many problems as the 6.0 did when it first appeared, I could see Ford dropping the 6.4 and installing the Cummins in Ford Trucks.

I would buy a Ford truck with a Cummins in it. You would be getting the best of both worlds!

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno about the dodge sales plummet... maybe, but they're going to a 6.7 liter inline with 650tq at 1200 rpm (if I remember right) HP is 350? That's a lot of snot out of factory. Read this last night in Diesel Power.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58