Front End Woes

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well, with a 145k on the clock...I'm thinkin theres some stuff on the front end thats worn out....

I've got a really annoying drone thats def coming from the front, and my steering is loose. I know about tightening the pre-load on the box, but i think ive got a bad tie rod.

On to the real issue though...the drone.

Its loud, it increases with speed, throttle or no throttle, in 4x4 or out, hubs locked or unlocked. I've got the manual hubs, no ESOF. I've had the tires rotated and looked over...virtually no cupping on them at all.

So my question is, what is it thats making this noise? I dont exaclty know how the front end is put together...Ive heard theres wheel bearings, needle bearings etc and im stumped on all that. Is this a bad hub(s), bearings?

Someone please point me in the right direction. I'll more than likely take it to my mechanic to have this done becuase I dont have all the tools to tackle this.

Thanks!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Jack up one front tire about an inch. Put a bar between the tire and the ground and move the bar up and down. Look carefully at the tire and wheel and see if they are moving with the bar. Grab the tire on the front and rear and shake it hard. Does it move? You may need ball joints if it does. If it moves in the up/down motion, you need wheel bearings.

Dave

Todd Tumbleston

Tumblestone
Reaction score
We use to recomment cleaning and repacking, if still good, the wheel bearings and replace the wheel seals before 100K miles..... Mine has 88 k and i think it's due!

JRJ04

Reaction score
so it sounds like wheel bearings...

does that mean i can leave the hubs alone? how much do these bearings cost? any aftermarket ones available?

JRJ04

Reaction score
The unit bearings are something like $450.each.

Dave

:eek: HOLY CRAP!

Well, I know the dynatrac kit is out there....but at 2grand...im gonna have to pass. Are there any unit bearings out there aftermarket that are cheaper?

dpantazis

Reaction score
buy the real ones. suck it up. you own a heavy duty truck.

yeah, there are cheaper ones... they usually made by some unknown company, say made in china and cost like $100 and they stay tight for about as long as it takes to mount them and then lower the truck onto the ground.

powerstroke shop has them for about $300 a side, but local napa has them for around the same price. shop around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58