fuel mileage

milspark1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am Bonestrokers brother. I am new to diesels, I bought my truck in July, so sorry if I have some stupid questions. Like bone said, I have a 96 F250 with the 7.3 in it. I have an E40D auto transmission, 3.55 gears, 285 x 75 x 16 tires, K/N filter (crap), 3" down pipe and straight 4" exhaust. I have ran my Superchips programmer on all 3 settings and in stock mode for two weeks in each setting. The result was always 10 or 11 mpg. I have changed the fuel filter, cleaned the air filter, checked for air and fluid leaks, but no luck. I did notice 2 days ago that my rear passenger brake was dragging a bit and will be looking at them this weekend. I drive about 20 miles one way to work on the interstate. I pretty much granny drive keeping between 70 and 75 (Feul is killing me). I hope this helps with figuring out what's up.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
get that dragging brake fixed then run the super chip on economy and take it rather easy on the truck. you know, try not to get the rpm's over 2000 rpm's and see what you get. i drove mine shifting gears at around 1700 rpm's and cruising at 60 on the hwy and came back with a surprising almost 22mpg. up from my normal 14-16 normal driving.

milspark1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
O.K. I got the brake problem taken care of. I went ahead and checked all of them just in case. While I was doing that, I found a feul leak dripping from underneath. I traced it out to I think the Feul pump by the turbo. It is leaking into the valley then running down. I think I seen an article on this, so I am going to check on it. I usually run about 2300 to 2500 RPM on the road, so I will drop to 2000 and see what happens. I take it you mean the High Performance setting on my programmer? I have Tow Safe Tow Prefered and High performance. Is this right? Thanks for all the help so far. As soon as I figure out how to get pictures loaded, I will get them in here.

bonestroker

stroke it if you got it
Reaction score
welcome to the community there milspark1 I'm sure we can help you with your trk there little boner

milspark1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I got the fuel leak fixed. It was the O-ring problem on the injection pump. I don't think it is the cause of my bad mileage, seeing as it was only leaking for 3 days and I have had bad mileage for about 3 months. Anything at this point will help though. My next try is the filter screen by the fuel filter. I read about that in a different thread so we shall see.
Howdy Bro.

milspark1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, I am still struggling with this mileage thing. I have replaced the rear brake drums, pads, springs and all. I am no longer leaking fuel, checked and greased the front bearings, changed the diff fluid in the front and rear, cleaned the FPR Screen, cleaned the air filter again and put another new fuel filter in. I am still getting 11 mpg no matter whether I am in stock or running any of the 3 settings with my superchips programmer. Anything else you all can think of that might can help me with this?

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
I see you have 285's, that is plenty bigger than stock size to skew your figures for mpg if you didn't recal the speedopdometer, if you haven't there are articles that tell you how, or if not comfortable, measure it out, figure out your code, and send it to Tacoma speedometer or something like that. Have any boost or drive pressure leaks?

DIESEL97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I am still struggling with this mileage thing. I have replaced the rear brake drums, pads, springs and all. I am no longer leaking fuel, checked and greased the front bearings, changed the diff fluid in the front and rear, cleaned the FPR Screen, cleaned the air filter again and put another new fuel filter in. I am still getting 11 mpg no matter whether I am in stock or running any of the 3 settings with my superchips programmer. Anything else you all can think of that might can help me with this?

Dont feel bad I am going though the same thing on my 96.I have changed and checked just about everything there is to check and change out.My 96 is bone stock so the way I looked at it was if I was going to get crappy mileage,I might as well have fun gettng getting crappy mileage,I called tony Wildman and told him to send me a 4 POS for it.:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14