fuel mileage

milspark1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have verified that the front is not engaged. I have auto locking hubs, but will soon be changing to Warn Locking hubs. I checked the speedometer with mileage posts on the interstate, and it is right on with them. Since I changed the rear brakes and everything, I have increased from 9 to 11 mpg, so that is a little better. I am wondering if I have an issue with the front brakes, because when I turn slightly right i get some sort of grinding noise. It only soes it when I am going faster than 30 mph. I am going to look at that this weekend. I am also thinking of removing the front driveline to eliminate the front drivetrain as the cause.
Thanks for the help so far. When you get your chip installed, let me know how it works. I am thinking of replacing my Superchips with a wildman setup.

katarski

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
do you have any kind of a hissing sound, especially when you lightly take your foot off of the accelerator pedal?

milspark1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No. I don't hear anything besides the turbo spooling. I have also checked with soapy water and some of the canned smoke (its like the air you use to clean computers, only smoke) I use to check Fire Alarms with. I didn't see any bubbles or any of the smoke get sucked in anywhere. Is there another way to check?

Chuck95

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have been told, just havent done it yet...find a tire place that will inflate your tires with nitrogen, Its more stable than regular ole air. The temps get hotter and the air expands, colder...contracts. Changing psi in the tires all the time. Nitrogen dosent change as much. I had a friends dad tell me he picked up 2-3 mpg. As much as fuel is, anything helps.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I have been told, just havent done it yet...find a tire place that will inflate your tires with nitrogen, Its more stable than regular ole air. The temps get hotter and the air expands, colder...contracts. Changing psi in the tires all the time. Nitrogen dosent change as much. I had a friends dad tell me he picked up 2-3 mpg. As much as fuel is, anything helps.

Nitrogen.... Myth or Fact?

Chuck95

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hey, just passing along what i was "told". As stated, I havent tried it.

The link does give a good view of things.

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I wasnt banging on you. I always try to invest in my own research when topics like this arise. Heck, a few years back when the acetone in diesel craze was burning around these sites and folks were reporting back with 4 and 5 mpg gains I didnt buy into it. I went to the hardware store and bought a can of acetone and tried it for myself. My results? Completely inconclusive over a 5000+ mile test period. I had exactly the same mileage running with acetone in the tank as I had without it. Sure I had one or two tanks that showed a 2 mpg gain and I got a little excited, then I had two or three tanks that showed a deficit of 2 or 3 mpg. Never once did the old girl break 20 mpg.

So in the end all I really ended up with was a little extra wasted time at the fuel pump measuring acetone. This is my gut feeling with N2 in tires as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14