Help! Where do I put the egt probe?

skyhawk1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just got my pyro and boost gauges today. I want to install them in the morning. Seems like I saw a how-to on this site with pics a while back. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
You want the EGT probe in the drivers side manifold just before it hooks to the up-pipe. Drill and tap it. I'll dig up the tutorial for you if you'd like it.

dpantazis

Reaction score
most install docs are a pain

look in my sig for pics of my gauge install. i had a hella time figuring it out.

most vendors pics are rotated 90 degrees to one side, they make no sense.

depending on which way you are getting in there, the view is a little different.

best way to describe it is on a creeper, roll yourself in behind the front left wheel.

look up and you will see the oil filter. past it and you will see the drivers side manifold.

here is the picture i took. ignore the oil leak....

http://community.webshots.com/photo/550683908/2276789300086060654GSHEUU

i drilled and tapped it at the elbow. i tried to get it perpendicular to the elbow, but anywhere near there is fine.

dennis

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
You want the EGT probe in the drivers side manifold just before it hooks to the up-pipe.
That would be the pre-turbo method. You can also put it in the top of the downpipe right where it exits the turbo. Some guys worry about the tip of the probe breaking off and going through the turbo when mounted pre-turbo. Mounting it pre-turbo does make for a more accurate reading than post turbo. When mounted post turbo you have to keep the egt a little lower due to heat loss through the turbo.

Here is a picture of mine mounted post-turbo:
vbpgimage.php

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
HOW TO install gauges.

Crumm said:
Some guys worry about the tip of the probe breaking off and going through the turbo when mounted pre-turbo.

I've heard about guys like you............:innocent

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
being one of the resident smarties , known for quick wit, you can pretty much imagine where i thought the probe should go......:roflmao :roflmao
but the drivers manifold is the best place
start slow with a small bit and ensure its SHARP
follow teh directions posted and you will be fine

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a shot of mine, BTW... PRE TURBO is the only accurate location for a pyro on our trucks.

skyhawk1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok, got the pyro installed but I don't know if it's working. Started the truck and let it idle for about 10 mins and guage never moved. Shouldn't I get some kind of temp reading? I think I'm wired up right, when I turned the key on the needle jumped to 0* (is on about 200* with the key off) I havn't hooked up the boost guage yet, I've been in and under that truck all day!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14