Help! Where do I put the egt probe?

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
What brand of gauges? It should read over 150 easy at idle as soon as you fire it up.

The pyro needs a power supply. Is that hooked up? Did you get the leads to and from the probe connected to the right terminals?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should get temp readings (if your in the exhaust manifold) or anywhere PRE-TURBO w/in seconds of the engine running.

pre-turbo (i used to be post) provides QUICK reactions to even small
amounts of throttle.

skyhawk1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The guages are AutoMeter brand. The pyro didn't come with the Autometer brand probe, the guy ordered it seperate. I'm going to drive it and see what happens. I feel like the probe is bad.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be the same brand or the readings will be off, each gauge has the wire length calabrated to the pyro. There simple things, if you have a hot for the gauge and a hot for the lighting and a ground for both. The probe has a yellow and red hook them up fire it up and the gauge should jump to 200+ in seconds

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
skyhawk1 said:
The guages are AutoMeter brand. The pyro didn't come with the Autometer brand probe, the guy ordered it seperate. I'm going to drive it and see what happens. I feel like the probe is bad.

its my understanding (and ive been told by those that sell 'em)
all the probes are the same (K-Type or something).

I chucked my auto-meter probe when i changed from post turbo
to PRE turbo...i picked up a new probe from Marc @ DPPI

skyhawk1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alright, here's the deal. Sitting in the driveway (not running), the pyro reads about 100*. As soon as I turn on the key, the needle instantly snaps to 0* and stays there. I just pulled out the guage and double checked my wiring and it seems to be right. Red and Yellow from the probe are correct and red and black are also correct. I'm going to double check my ground connection and see what happens.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the SNAP to zero tell you that you have power to the GUAGE...itll do that
w/ NO probe connected.

what about the intermidiate wires connections that connect from
the probe "stub" wires to the longer length (usually yellow/insulated)
are they 1 connected well/tight & 2 insulated from touching each other...

skyhawk1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
bushpilot, this was all one piece. The instructions mentioned connecting the red and yellow wires then using the shrink tube stuff. I didn't have to connect anywhere, just 1 piece probe to guage.

dpantazis

Reaction score
check for shorts

you might want to check for shorts along your cables.

aside from that, what are your power connections like? where did you tap key on 12v power from.

the pyros's signal is in milli-volts. almost nothing to be exact. if your gauge is reading a temp with NO power through the amp box, then i would wonder if there is a wiring snafu somewhere.

where did you route the cables through? is something chafing?

dennis

skyhawk1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm getting power from the #27 fuse (Ignition Run Power Feed (Customer Access)). I've double checked all of my connections, re-checked my ground, etc. The only thing I havn't done is pull the probe back out but there's not much to look at with that thing. I really think it's an electrical thing because of the way the needle snaps back when I turn the key on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14