HONEST mileage - apples 2 apples

Fine69

Reaction score
Judging by the computer info thing on the dash, anywhere from 12-15 mpg. Thats with the 35's. Slightly better with stock tires. I RARELY do the speed limit.

i-Henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very Poor Mileage

I notice your signature line says you have 285/75R16's...If you change the tire size to a larger tire and you don't correct the speedometer gear, you are actually travelling farther than what the odometer says. When I had 315/80R16's on my '01, the odometer was over 10% off. This will affect your mileage because according to the odometer, you are not traveling as many miles per gallon as you actually are driving. Of course you are actually getting more miles out of your warranty too...:sweet

No I didn't, but that shouldn't make that much of a difference. I'm getting barely 10 mpg city. But with my short highway on trips I got about 20 mpg (flat ground, no load). So if my mileage was off because of my speedo, that would make my highway mileage exceptionally high.

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi
I recently put 35 12.5 20's on mine. I had factory installed 265 70 16's.
drove home from florida with the truck at 17.7 highway.
i am not averaging say 14.3 to 14.6. thats what the meter says i am getting? how off is my mileage now? 10 percent? I know alrger tires make it harder to spin(from a motor stand point) but should be getting a higher true reading cause i am not getting true distance. If factory mileage readers are off? are they high or low?

Trapper77

2003 Owner
Reaction score
2003 CC long box, 3.73 ls, 6 Speed tranny. I did not start keeping accurate records until about 10,000 miles. So, number are from 11-29-03 with a mileage of 10,658.8 unitl now, 1-31-07 mileage 55,732.6. Some of this has been with stock tires and some of it has been with 35 inch tires. The mileage has been compensated for with the bigger tires at the time. A mix of freeway and city driving. Some pulling a 6000# boat, some pulling a 24 foot flatbed trailer, a lot just empty. Total miles 45,492.7. Total fuel used 2763.454 gallons. Total MPG 16.46226.

On another note, with the price of fuel skyrocketing the cost per mile for fuel has gone way up. For the first year and a half of owning my truck it cost me 11.4 cents a mile for fuel. The next year it cost me 14.7 cents a mile for fuel. The next 9 months cost me 17 cents a mile for fuel. The next 6 months have costed 19.2 cents a mile for fuel.

Add in the cost of oil and filter changes and other maintenance and these babies are getting expensive to drive. Fuel started at $1.75/Gallon, saw a high of $3.15/gallon and is currently going down at $2.67/gallon. My mileage is also going down with the new UULSD, have lost a mile a gallon.

Trapper

Last edited:

nogo90gp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I feel like I'm getting terrible mpg. With my '04 f-350 reg cab auto the last tank i got 11.26 and the previous 2 tanks were about the same. ??? Oddly enough the best i ever got was towing my dads boat, 19.6mpg, I' guesing thats because it wasn't mine and i new what would happen to me if anythng happened to it!

frankorego

Big "O"
Reaction score
Heys guys I know I don't have a 6.0 but for arguments sake. I was getting per lie-o-meter average 17 MPG with STOCK tires, just switched (November) to 285/70r16 and am now getting per lie-o-meter 14 mpg on average. :rolleyes:

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just made a 406 mile trip North to Dallas Oregon. 406 miles 22.3 gallons= 18.2 mpg. That is at 2000 rpm, cruise control, at 70 mph average, on freeway, plus stop and go through Salem Or. . Normally get better mileage going south, but have not fueled up yet, so I do not know. One factor is Oregon uses winter fuel now, so mileage might not be as good going back to California.

Mystic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been doing about 14 MPG average, this new fuel sucks. Truck seemed to do better when I first got it in august!

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you doing up in my neck of the woods? Albany

We went to Forest River Inc. in Dallas Or. to take a tour of the plant, and see how our new 5th wheel was doing. They say it will be complete by the end of this week. Sure seems fast to me. They just started on it Monday. BTW, between Roseburg and Salem, you have some very pretty country. Everything is green now, but I guess in July, the green will turn to brown. The Forest River plant is very impressive. Have you ever had the prime rib at Murphys grill? it is very good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58