I know I don't want to hear the answer, but give it to me anyway

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
X2. One trouble-shooting step at a time, before the Big Bucks come in to play ?

:dunno

Joe
Yup. Also you normally don't get steaming exhaust/ hydrolock with HG failure.
I believe you can pull the EGR valve and tip the truck forward to check for a leaking cooler.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I would replace the oil cooler while I was just replacing the EGR cooler. Pull the EGR valve and look at the valve and inside the Intake manifold to see if it looks like it has been steam cleaned. I dont think that sounds like HGs to me.

RR I just replaced mine myself but I ad an inside shop to work in. It took me 4 weeks of nights and saturdays to do my work. I cleaned alot as I went along. I now have the FICM pulled out and being repaired. I should have had the FICM repaired while I was working on the other. Other than it not wanting to crank when it was cold, it all ran fine after I did the work. No smoke whatsoever.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Today I met with Tim at The Diesel Shop in Manchester, TN. He agrees with the assessment that I suffered a EGR cooler failure. He did recommend an EGR delete at first, but considering the neighboring county to me requires emission testing and such testing may be on the way for my home county, he recommended I get an upgraded EGR cooler. I could just replace the damaged components or get the job done right.

We decided to go the Sinister Diesel Complete Solution route, with new EGR and oil cooler, new head studs, gaskets, o-rings, the whole nine yards. The exhaust system will also be upgraded to a four inch straight pipe setup. If I'm going to have the cab off the truck, I might as well do the whole job and get every potential source of failure out of the truck and not have to worry about it again.

The shop stays busy, there was another F-250 being brought in on a flatbed while we talked. Tim says he stays busy doing work for TDOT, the state highway patrol, and the county, as well as folks like me who want to keep their truck until the wheels fall off.

The only bad news is that I won't have the cash for this work until after New Year's Day, unless I can convince my banker to give me a short term loan.

Thanks to all of you who gave me ideas as to what might be wrong. While it is going to be expensive to fix, it's not going to be as expensive as I thought.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JMO rray but.. Yer doing the right thing.. and doing it Right. Good Move. ;tu;tu

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Well, Tim at The Diesel Shop called with good news and bad news today. The good news is that I didn't bend anything. As we suspected, the EGR cooler and the oil cooler were toast. But to add to my woes, four injectors are only putting out 50 percent. He gave me a choice of moving the good injectors to the back of the engine and putting the bad ones to the front, to replace them at a later date, but he recommended replacement as part of the teardown and assembly I'm doing now. The cheapest Ford remanufactured injectors are $240 a pop plus core of $180 each, plus another three hours labor. He doesn't recommend the aftermarket ones. So now I'm having to come up with another $1500 (the cost of parts and labor with a bit more for any additional surprises). So, the truck will sit for five weeks until another check comes in.

Merry Christmas to me...:dizzy

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yer call rray.. but I would disagree with yer Shop guy. If you shop around.. you can get [sets] of 8 Remans, from other than Ford.. for less than $240 each. You might check around with some our SDD site sponors ?

JMO but Remans are Remans.. there's alot of good reputable rebuilders out there... I've always felt, and wouldn't be a bit surprised.. that one of the major rebuilders.. remans them for Ford... Ford puts Their name on the packaging.. and jacks up the price.

We ALL know how that works.

Joe

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
The Alliant Power injectors have seemed to be dependable for me. They are a little less than the $240 for Ford.
I would put the new injectors all in one bank, that way you only have to take one side apart later. OR, put all of the old ones back in, 4 bad ones on the easy to access bank.
Are your injectors original? How many miles on them? Did the truck run good before the EGR cooler failed?

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Are your injectors original? How many miles on them? Did the truck run good before the EGR cooler failed?
Original injectors, with 140,000 miles on them. The only problem I had with the truck was when it was cold, it ran like crap until it warmed up. I did get a load of bad fuel which triggered the WIF warning, I dumped the water separator and changed the fuel filters a few months ago, I ran some Diesel Kleen through the system and it ran better. Funny thing, the truck ran better than it had for a couple of years just before the EGR failure.

I've gone back to the well with my credit union to see if they will loan me the money needed for the additional repairs. I do have a question for everybody, would it be better to just get a set of eight injectors and have all injectors with zero time on them, or just replace the bad ones?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If you can afford it, get all new injectors so you won't be replacing one at some inconvenient time. If you can't, then...

Dave :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14