I know I don't want to hear the answer, but give it to me anyway

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 140K on the origonals.. and your having injector problems with a few, I'd go for replaceing all 8.

If a few are going south.. the rest are soon to follow ?

Joe

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Yeah if you can get by without the truck till you can afford all 8, that's what I would do.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
The additional work meant additional money, which meant talking to my credit union. They came through for me. So, this is what is being done to my truck now:

Replacing the EGR cooler with a new Sinister Diesel EGR cooler
New Ford OEM oil cooler
Black Onyx head gaskets
ARP head studs
Alliant fuel injectors (8)
Wellman glow plugs (8)
Both cylinder heads machined to spec
Replacement of factory exhaust with MBRP turbo back 4" exhaust system
Addition of DieselSite transmission filter
Replacing all coolant with silicate free product, filling crankcase with Shell Rotella 15W40 oil

The goal is to make the truck impervious to all of the faults that it came with from the factory. I tow my fifth-wheel travel trailer, and plan to do a lot more traveling once all of these modifications are made.

Any suggestions for other modifications or added equipment?

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would only change one thing. Use Motorcraft glow plugs ONLY. The others swell and it makes it very difficult to get out.

Dave :thumbs

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Dave said.. and the Shell Rotella T6, full synthetic 5W40 might be a better "All Weather" choice for oil ?

Joe

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rich, I live further south than you do and just a little north of where you use to be but I just changed to the T6 oil. Its is amazing the difference I have seen with it and the other changes you mentioned. I also had the FICM repaired with an ATLAS 40 tune and did a blue spring mod. I drove about 286 miles yesterday with and average of 20.4 MPG. My MPGs are up about 3 MPG. I attribute some of that to the T6 oil as the cranks are smoother. I also have a cabin east of you in Wear Valley and the T6 will help if it gets cold over there.

Better check you FICM while you have the cab off as the harness is much easier to plug back in while the cab is off.

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put you one of them coolant filter to get the crap before it gets to the oil coolers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14