I know I don't want to hear the answer, but give it to me anyway

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Put you one of them coolant filter to get the crap before it gets to the oil coolers.
I put in a DieselSite coolant filter a year ago, if I had done that a few years earlier I no doubt wouldn't be spending all the money I'm spending now. Bob Riley gets some more of my money as I am putting one of his transmission fluid filters on, as I have little faith in the toilet paper filter that Ford has as standard equipment.

I was worried about how the wife would view the large amounts of cash I'm dropping, surprisingly she who must be obeyed is cool with the expenditures, it's cheaper than even a used truck of unknown pedigree, and she would not be down with an $800 new truck payment. I've made the Beast quite comfortable for her on long road trips, she can surf the web while we drive, listen to Pandora, watch a movie, even curl up in the back as we make up the rear seats as a single bed. Of course when we do stop, we have the fifth-wheel for overnight stops and meals. It will be interesting to see the performance when towing after the truck comes back from the shop.

In the daily call from Tim, the owner of The Diesel Shop, he told me they were pulling the cab and removing the heads today, he asked when the injectors were to be delivered, and he was quite pleased to hear he would have them tomorrow. With luck and barring any other surprises, I should have my truck back next week. Happy days...

That being said, I am on the fence regarding an SCT tuner with towing tunes, thoughts from everyone?

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smoky, never did hear what got your truck going, was it the fuel pressure regulator leaking back?

and Me too ? :coffee

It was the little black sleeve in the regulator housing. I had nicked it when I put the blue spring mod in. I pulled it out with a pick as I thought I was replacing it. My kit did not have the replacement sleeve in it. I replaced the sleeve and put the regulator all back together as well as putting the CAC tube, the Airaid Box, the degas bottle and hooked up all the hoses. She fired off on the first try after I primed it about 5 times. I left Monday traveling around Mississippi and now in Memphis some 800 miles later. The only problem I had was the 5/8" hose leaked at the huge clamps from the coolant filter and caused the check gauge light to come on. I caught it quickly and shut it down. Carried water in case I had any leaks so I was ok. Went to a parts house and got the narrow worm gear clamps, problem solved. It hasn't leaked a drop since then and the water level in the degas bottle has remained the same. Tomorrow about 2 hours from home, I will stop and drain out about a gallon of water and put in the restore for the remainder of the trip home. That will have the first stage of the coolant flush done. I have a gallon of Restore Plus for the next day, then distilled water and Rotella ELC.

I feel pretty confident that the good Lord has made sure that my ignorance on putting everything back together was overlooked and now seems to be ok. Just didnt want to get caught off with truck problems with the family headed to Wear Valley after Christmas.

If the regulator cannot build up the required pressure then it just pushes the fuel back to the tank thru the reutrn line. No Pressure No run.

I also have averaged 20.3 MPG over the 800 + miles. Thats on the lie-o-meter and figured on a sheet of paper.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear you got it figured out and running Smokey ;tu

Joe

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
My truck is all fixed, and it runs better than it has ever run, the fuel economy is back, and all of the goodies I wanted to install are on the truck. Thanks to the guys at The Diesel Shop in Manchester, Tennessee.

The only downside is I almost had the truck paid off, now I have another three years to pay...total cost of repairs and improvements was $6792.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got her going Rich. Hate it set you back that much but it is cheaper than a new one for sure. I will be headed to Wears Valley at the end of the month so if i get stuck in the snow you can now come pull me out.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it all put back together, now a good time to take a trip.
Doug

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Round two...

The truck won't start this morning. It seems like the engine is getting too much fuel or not enough air. It will start, stumble, then quit. I can't get it to go above idle. All the repair costs have cleaned my bank account out. Any ideas as to what might be happening now?

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they mess with the fuel regulator?

Any codes?

New fuel filters?

Could be an air leak in the fuel system?

Could be a number of things. Get the mechanic that worked on it back on it. I worked for 4 weeks after I put mine back together to get alll of the little gremlins out of it.

Try plugging her in to see if she will run when hot.

Was the FICM rebuilt while out?

Did any of the pins get bent or broken when the FICM was put back in? Did the clips click?

Like I said it can be a number of things..

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
1. I had a new blue spring put in.
2. No codes show up on the ScanGauge II.
3. Won't run hot or cold.
4. New fuel filters were put in, as were new oil and coolant filters.
5. FICM was untouched.

I picked up the truck on Tuesday, it ran great through Friday. I go to start it to go to church and no go.

I don't know how much more this is going to cost me, but as much as I have into it the point of diminishing returns is approaching. But I could not get what I have invested in it now unless I sold my RV as well, and I would then have just enough to pay off the bank note.

It will go back to the mechanic this week, but as I bought all of the parts any parts warranty won't include labor at $75 an hour. Sigh.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58