I'm Stumped

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
If the thermostat was stuck open, it would prevent the engine from heating up at all. What kind of water pump did you get? Is it a high volumn pump? Is your fan clutch locked? Maybe the combination of fresh coolant drain and refill, a new pump moving coolant better, and the filter cleaning up the system, just did the truck a world of good! Don't bank on your hand being a good thermometer, some of us with calluses can hold onto very hot stuff longer than others. My vote is find another way to get a accurate temp reading. If the heater is hot when it's cold outside, and the truck does'nt heat up when towing, pat yourself on the back for a great job on your cooling system upgrade!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
hook a scan tool up to it and see what temperature the thermostat opens at.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
possibility that autozoo gave you the wrong waterpump, the early obs trucks use a different pump, looks almost the same save the bolt on outlet (I'd bet that there are some with a bolt on outlet) that use a more "normal" looking thermostat instead of the long neck one, but I don't remember if there is room for the long neck in the waterpump.

I can say that even with city driving I can't grab my upper hose and hold it for long after she's been running, but it'll never open the t-stat when idling in the driveway.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
hook a scan tool up to it and see what temperature the thermostat opens at.

I'm going to try that when I get my AutoEnginuity cable back. It seems to have died on me last week. I sent it in to AutoEnginuity so they can check it out.

possibility that autozoo gave you the wrong waterpump, the early obs trucks use a different pump, looks almost the same save the bolt on outlet (I'd bet that there are some with a bolt on outlet) that use a more "normal" looking thermostat instead of the long neck one, but I don't remember if there is room for the long neck in the waterpump.

I can say that even with city driving I can't grab my upper hose and hold it for long after she's been running, but it'll never open the t-stat when idling in the driveway.

I've been wondering about the possiblity of getting some sort of wrong water pump. At a glance it looks the same. The bolt on lower hose outlet looks the same as the old one.

I'm thinking about after I get back home, pulling the new pump off and camparing it very closely to the old one with particular attention to the t-stat housing area.

As it is, I don't think it is running warm enough to build any heat for winter time.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The number of empellers and/or their surface area too.. as compared to the old one.

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TG, did you just install the filter kit or did you just replace the filter on a kit you already had? I installed Dieselsite's filter kit last summer and didn't notice any difference until the weather got cool. Then I noticed the truck took a long time to heat up when I was just driving it. It took putting a load on it, (going over a 9% grade 1/2 mile long), to get the truck up to normal operating temp. Finally figured out the way the Dieselsite coolant filter is hooked into the system it acts like a stuck open thermostat. It flows water from the block to the radiator effectivly bypassing the thermostat. If that's not it, I'd say the thermostat is stuck open. Hope this helps.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have my coolant filter hooked up in series with the heater and everything gets hot just like before I hooked it up. Gunner, how is yours hooked up??

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TG, did you just install the filter kit or did you just replace the filter on a kit you already had? I installed Dieselsite's filter kit last summer and didn't notice any difference until the weather got cool. Then I noticed the truck took a long time to heat up when I was just driving it. It took putting a load on it, (going over a 9% grade 1/2 mile long), to get the truck up to normal operating temp. Finally figured out the way the Dieselsite coolant filter is hooked into the system it acts like a stuck open thermostat. It flows water from the block to the radiator effectivly bypassing the thermostat. If that's not it, I'd say the thermostat is stuck open. Hope this helps.

I have my coolant filter hooked up in series with the heater and everything gets hot just like before I hooked it up. Gunner, how is yours hooked up??

Dave

Good point(s) guys.. Never thought of that possibility.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score

Dave

After two days of driving, I'm back home from Nashville and our daughter's college graduation. The high point of the trip home, I topped off my tanks with 116 gallons of diesel @ $1.94 gallon. :sweet The otherwise cheapest fuel I found anywhere between Da Bridge and Nashville was about $2.06.

I have a Dieselsite coolant filter kit I installed several years back. When I replaced the filter, I got a Wix 24070 from Napa. The filter system was installed per the kit instructions, tapping into the port on the side of the water pump and dumping back into the degas jug. It's been working fine installed that way for many years now. Is it possible the Wix/Napa coolant filter has less restriction than the original kit filter?

Anybody know what the Baldwin filter number is that is used in the coolant filter kit?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14