I'm Stumped

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Dieselsite coolant filter kit I installed several years back. When I replaced the filter, I got a Wix 24070 from Napa. The filter system was installed per the kit instructions, tapping into the port on the side of the water pump and dumping back into the degas jug. It's been working fine installed that way for many years now. Is it possible the Wix/Napa coolant filter has less restriction than the original kit filter?

Anybody know what the Baldwin filter number is that is used in the coolant filter kit?

The Baldwin # is B-5134, TG. Mine is hooked up like yours and I have allways used the Baldwin filter... with No op temp issues. Maybe something there with the Wix ????? I wouldn't think so but :dunno

Joe

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The Baldwin # is B-5134, TG. Mine is hooked up like yours and I have allways used the Baldwin filter... with No op temp issues. Maybe something there with the Wix ????? I wouldn't think so but :dunno

Joe

I just crossed the B-5134, and the Wix number is the 24070. So according to Wix, it's the same filter. I think I'm gonna take a stroll out to the garage and take a good long close look at the old pump.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
On looking at the old water pump, the port the filter kit draws from is prior to the t-stat. So it might be feasible that the coolant filter kit may be flowing enough coolant to prevent sufficient heat build up to open the t-stat.

I wonder if a flow resrictor may help.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score

Joe

you might be on to something there...

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you put a valve in the coolant filter line then I'd suggest that you shut off flow to the filter (or from the filter, same difference). That way you have effectively removed it from the system. If that's the problem (big if), then the valve could be adjusted closed to make sure you got some flow back to the de-gas bottle, but not much.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
TG
the kit for the 6.0 taps in at the heater hose(hot side) and then the degas small return line from the top of the radiator....
maybe your on the right track as your filter is now a big BYPASS and its allowing to much flow and resulting lower temps.
might need to change your point of access into the anti-freeze loop :dunno

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I'm waiting for a genuine Ford coolant temp sensor to arrive. I got two from Advance and with neither one, did the temp gauge reach the cold mark. I was thinking that with both working the same way, they both had to be OK right? What if they are not calibrated right for that application?

I'm also thinking about what DMD said about just pinching the filter hose off. The upper radiator hose is not "hot" after driving a distance, but the coolant filter is hotter than hell. So it seems there is more heat going thru the coolant filter than the t-stat. If I pinch/clamp that filter hose off, that'll force coolant flow thru the t-stat. Then I can look again at the temp gauge and see what it does.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TG, FWIW ? I installed a temp sensor in the unused port on the Coolant Filter*, to get Real engine temp temps, at/from the Water Pump. You might try that'n see what you get ??

Joe

*Dont forget to ground it ? (don't ask me why I said that :innocent)

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
*Dont forget to ground it ? (don't ask me why I said that :innocent)

Should be grounded thru the wire connector/wire harness. The shop manual wire schematic shows that one of the two wires is a ground. It also states to use teflon tape on the threads. I used thread dope to do the same thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14