I'm Stumped

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Should be grounded thru the wire connector/wire harness. The shop manual wire schematic shows that one of the two wires is a ground. It also states to use teflon tape on the threads. I used thread dope to do the same thing.

that surprises me about the teflon or dope,
most want the threads t have a good metal to metal for secondary ground....

my oil temp sensors i used for fuel temps in the 7.3 had a case ground and the harness grounds...

however............i would bet the dope or teflon would get enough of a metal to metal to get grounded, i would check with a ohms meter to make sure as bit of insurance

Jeffro

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Baldwin filter is orficed

When I cut open my Balwin filter B-5134 to see if it was dirty, I noticed that it had a orfice in it to restrict flow through it. Maybe the Wix filter does not have it. Good Luck!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be grounded thru the wire connector/wire harness. The shop manual wire schematic shows that one of the two wires is a ground. It also states to use teflon tape on the threads. I used thread dope to do the same thing.

that surprises me about the teflon or dope,
most want the threads t have a good metal to metal for secondary ground....

my oil temp sensors i used for fuel temps in the 7.3 had a case ground and the harness grounds...

however............i would bet the dope or teflon would get enough of a metal to metal to get grounded, i would check with a ohms meter to make sure as bit of insurance

I should have Esplained myself: I mounted the coolant filter per the DieselSite instructions.... on the intake snorkel, (it's PLASTIC).. hooked up the temp sensor (tfe dope) and gauge.. no worky.. Hmmmm.

Cussed NAPA, Swore at Diprcol.... then "Bink".. No Ground.

Ran a ground to the radiator support.. Whala.. Worky Real Good. :lmao:lmao

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I should have Esplained myself: I mounted the coolant filter per the DieselSite instructions.... on the intake snorkel, (it's PLASTIC).. hooked up the temp sensor (tfe dope) and gauge.. no worky.. Hmmmm.

Cussed NAPA, Swore at Diprcol.... then "Bink".. No Ground.

Ran a ground to the radiator support.. Whala.. Worky Real Good. :lmao:lmao

Hmmmm, berry, berry interesting!! Maybe an experiemnt using a couple of vise grips and a length of wire is in order. :notworthy

Which brings up another question: I wonder if there is a difference in grounding between a Ford OEM sensor and the ones I got from Advance.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, berry, berry interesting!! Maybe an experiemnt using a couple of vise grips and a length of wire is in order. :notworthy

* Thats what I did TG. After I had chased everything (engine idling= heat) for proper hookup that's when the "Bing" came in. No Ground. Temp'd one, Worked good. Tapped the filter boss, grounded it to an OEM ground on the Rad support.. been working fine for 6 years now.

Which brings up another question: I wonder if there is a difference in grounding between a Ford OEM sensor and the ones I got from Advance.

I think there is a Difference. Anymore, when I deal with "Fast Food" type Parts Stores.. I ask them to look up the Thingy I'm needing by Make & Model.. rather than pick'n one off the hook. kinda like the GPR thing.. Isolated/Not Isolated ?

Joe

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Well, it ain't a ground issue.

I clamped a wire between the brass body of the coolant temp sensor and a ground. It made no difference, the temp gauge still barely moves. I also took a ohm tester to the temp sensor and verified it is indeed grounded thru the threads into the water pump.

So I am hoping the genuine Ford coolant temp sensor I have coming fixes the problem.

Another discovery: I looked at the old water pump again, with particular attention to the location of the coolant temp sensor in relation to coolant flow. The sensor is reading coolant temp as it emerges from the impeller area. Only then does it go onto the filter or radiator via the t-stat. That means whether the coolant goes thru the filter or the radiator is pointless. So that pretty much narrows down the cause of my temp gauge issue to the sensor or wiring.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I clamped a wire between the brass body of the coolant temp sensor and a ground. It made no difference, the temp gauge still barely moves. I also took a ohm tester to the temp sensor and verified it is indeed grounded thru the threads into the water pump.

So I am hoping the genuine Ford coolant temp sensor I have coming fixes the problem.

Another discovery: I looked at the old water pump again, with particular attention to the location of the coolant temp sensor in relation to coolant flow. The sensor is reading coolant temp as it emerges from the impeller area. Only then does it go onto the filter or radiator via the t-stat. That means whether the coolant goes thru the filter or the radiator is pointless. So that pretty much narrows down the cause of my temp gauge issue to the sensor or wiring.

Two, maybe Dumb questions:

1. Are you reading/useing the OEM guage ?

2. Is the temp sensor you bought, in the right range of 0, to say 300* ?

The reason I ask is.. Sunday, after pulling the 5r home from the coast, I jumped out and felt my upper Rad. hose... it wasnt Hot/Hot but was hot enough that I couldn't hold on to it.. indicated temps were 198/200*.

Earlier, you said about the same thing ?

:dunno

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
1. Are you reading/useing the OEM guage?
Yes
2. Is the temp sensor you bought, in the right range of 0, to say 300* ?
Who knows?? I ordered a coolant temp sensor for a 99 7.3, so I was expecting that it would function as expected.

The reason I ask is.. Sunday, after pulling the 5r home from the coast, I jumped out and felt my upper Rad. hose... it wasnt Hot/Hot but was hot enough that I couldn't hold on to it.. indicated temps were 198/200*.

Earlier, you said about the same thing ?
I could actually hold my upper radiator hose. But if I was pulling a 5er, I don't think I could either. But if I put a flow restrictor in the line for the coolant filter, I suspect I won't be able to hold the upper hose anymore because more coolant flow/heat will be forced thru the upper radiator hose.

P.S. The UPS dude just dropped off my OEM Genuine Ford coolant temp sensor. I should have an answer tomorrow whether it is a sensor issue or a wiring issue.

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TG, what if you put a coolant temp sensor in the side of the block and see if it close to your OEM reading.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score

I never did ask...
is it throwing heat?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58