Introduction and already the first problem

rockcrawlin90

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello from Gremany to the US
My name´s Robin and i´m very glad i found this forum due to the fact that F-Series Trucks are such rare beasts over here.
Let me come straight to the point.
First i hat the common studer problem which was solved by changing the under valve cover harnesses.
Now just some 1000mls further the problem is back in a little diferent shape.
The studdering only starts at working temperature of the engine.
After looking at the working principle of the PSD somehow that looks to me as the HPOP isn´t up to it no more.
I´m off ti the dalership this week (hard to find one that can do this on US Trucks over here) to read out the error codes but maybe someone here has a tip for me.
-If the HPOP is doomed, is there a more relieable one on the market (i read about electrical ones?)
-Do i have to change anything else to do a conversion?
-Most important: How much $$$ do i have to spend?
Thankx for your help

P.S. please excuse my english, i promise to work on it....

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
when was the last oil change?what type/wieght of oil was used?from what i have learned the HPOP rarely fails.believe it or not i know my truck needs an oil change by the way it runs.

have the injector Orings been replaced that you know of?take the fuel filter out and see what color is the fuel in the bowl.if its black and oily looking you most likely need orings.

you do have a few choices for an HPOP if youneed one.you can get a stock rebuilt replacement or a superduty humped pump for around $500.00US from ford.you can also get either HPOP off ebay for short money new or used.or you can go all out and get either the stealth dual HPOP system from wwww.beansdieselperformance.com,or you can get the terminator dual HPOP,dont know who is selling the terminator though.they go for around $2,000.00US,but you will also need to convert to an aftermarket fuel system like beansdieselperformance sells.

unless you plan on going to some wild aftermarket injectors you will be fine with a stock or superduty HPOP,IF you need one

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
The studdering only starts at working temperature of the engine.

Welcome to the site !!! Glad you found us !!! :thumbs

Look at the simple things first.

What is the condition of the engine oil. ie - when was the last oil change done. Also, are you low on oil.

The anti foaming additive in the oil breaks down over time and allows air bubbles to form in the oil. The injectors don't like that and can cause the engine to run a little rough.

Someone else will be along shortly with more detailed electrical/mechanical possibilities.

Tbar

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. I cannot add anymore advice than was already given. Bryan

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Robin,

Welcome to SDD, glad to have you onboard with us and hopefully we can get you through the mechanical problem you are experiencing right now.

First off, the HPOP rarely fails, if you have access to a gauge (probably need a 4000 psi gauge) you can tap into the oil rail and see what your pressure is running.

Secondly, I would agree with the recommended oil change the other guys have already mentioned.

Thirdly, fuel filter. When was it changed last?

How about quality of fuel, could you have gotten bad fuel?

The fuel pump itself could be a suspect.

Lastly, dont rule out the UVC harness again. Pull the oil cap off the valve cover again and see if you can smell burnt electrical.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. We'll be glad to help you out.

Well you could very well be chasing the best that I chased away and honestly I can't tell you what the problem was.

I can say that the IPR o-rings would be another suspect area. I'd definately look at changing the oil first.

What you'll find on the net about the HPOP is that as you add bigger injectors for more power you surpass the ability of the stock pump to supply the volume of oil required to inject that much fuel. So there are options that have the ability to displace a larger volume of oil to provide the extra power.

When you replaced the UVC harness did you replace just the harness or did you replace the glow plugs as well. Most frequently I've seen the harness go bad as a result of a bad glow plug.

Bezüglich der Engländer, die schlecht sind, bin ich sicher, dass das etwas nicht schlechter als mein Deutsch

BLUKTY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Robin. If anybody can help you get your problem solved,the people here are the ones to do it! Be sure to let us know how things are going. Pete

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg