Introduction and already the first problem

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BLUKTY said:
Welcome, Robin. If anybody can help you get your problem solved,the people here are the ones to do it! Be sure to let us know how things are going. Pete

AMEN TO THAT! Welcome to the site! What the hell is an HPOP anyways? I appologize for my lack of knowledge. I am hoping to learn though.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
HPOP
High Pressure Oil Pump
It is the pressure that fires the injectors which is intensified to some wheres around 23k psi, or so it could be higher. and a stealth or hopped up one... well is bumped up in flow and pressures.

higher flow inj. tend to run out of oil flow an dpressures at higher RPMS so an upgraded HPOP is in order

happeetxn

9/11 Never Forget
Reaction score
Howdy (Hello in TEXAN)
Grüß dich! Wie geht es Ihnen? This site is full of great people with an incredible amount of knowledge.
Craig

martyfowler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thats a nice looking truck you have there. i was in augsburg, germany a few months ago.during the whole week i was there i only saw one 2 wheel drive chevy pickup. ill bet your truck really gets a lot of attention among all those tiny little smart cars and such. -marty

rockcrawlin90

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well first of all thanks for your help by now and most of all thanks for the warm welcome.
I´ll start with the oil change. The last one was some 6-7kmls ago. The manual says that´s ok but who knows.
The fuel filter was replaced with this oil change. The lift pump delivers 75-85 PSI which schould be ok too.
I refill my truck mostly on the same gas station and the diesel quality over here is regulated by the so called DIN, a organisation quite similar to the ISO so hopefully the fuel is good. I also add a little oil for two stroke engines to each fill to lubrikate the fuel system from within. At our small diesel cars we often run injection pumps that are lubricated by the diesel flowing through so that´s a old habbit.
The old UVC harnesses were´nt fried and the truck starts perfectly without any kind of smoke so i guess the glow plugs are still up to it but shurely i´ll do the "smell test" to check for fried cables again. Some of these old tiny cabels looked like they were rubbing on some more or less sharp edges. Maybe the quite high voltage (i read about 110V) escaped somewhere around these points to the cylinder head. I hope the cables dint contact with the rocker arms or push rods or so.
Depending on the error codes the next thing to check i guess will be the o-rings
Somehow i want to go for the uprated HPOP, who knows, maybe beans will hear from us in near future.
But first i have to fix the engine and get some serious torque converter so i don´t cook the tranny. I do a lot of towing (i run a small business selling RV Parts, doing some conversions and also own a little rental car agency). That also was the reason why i added all the goodies to that engine.
@ martyfowler: Ooooh yes with such a truck you really get loads of attetion, especialy by police:cussing:
The funny thing is that most people dont understand why i an running such a "huge truck". They all say it´s too thirsty and has too much running costs.
I also have a german truck of the same size (5ton in germany). Inshurance is 4 times a high, tax is the same as the german tax for trucks is based on the total weight and parts are double the price of the original ford parts!? and tis little 2.4 liter engine gives me much less mpg because i always have to squeeze out every little HP it has (I counted 95 of them -mad )
The only thing is...when you buy a new US Truck over here....$$$$$
For example a brand new 350 CC 4x4 6.0 PSD costs converted to USD nearly 80 grand! That keeps the prices for used truck somere in the stars....

On the other hand, in private life i run two Land Rovers (a ninety Rockcrawler and a Discovery for everyday use(and for my lady ;) ) and a convertible BMW which would call for a huge income in the US....

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your CEL on?
How many miles on the truck? miles or KM?

If you're power hungry bean can definately take care of adding more power.

The problems of skips witout a CEL can be difficult to diagnose. I forgot to include information on how I began to diagnose my problem.

With the truck running at idle I could barely detect a skip and mine actually showed up on the EGT guage before I noticed it. I pulled the valve covers off and with the truck running disconnect each injector seperately yes there is notable difference compared to what was happening but you should be able to tell a difference in how the truck runs with one unplugged vs another unplugged. (make sense?)

I knew my injector o-rings were bad due to the fuel filter turning black shortly after changing. but that usually doesn't cause a skip. I noticed that I had 2 injectors on one side that were different than when the others were unplugged. so I went ahead and pulled my injectors and sent them to Bean to get rebuilt & modded. while bean had them he found a 2 injectors with broken springs. I didn't mark them so I'm not sure if they were the 2 I suspsected or not.

Not sure what oil change intervals you've been told but I lean toward the 5-7k oil change (8-11k KM) Especially since you've said that you tow alot.

On Edit I meant to include the links to my adventure in searching for problems.
Beginning of problems
continued

Last edited:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
if you want more power definately talk with bean!!couldnt ask for a better guy to buy from or talk too!:thumbs :thumbs :sweet

rockcrawlin90

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The Truck has 80kmls on the clock. It´s a canadian version with km/h speedo, towing package an so on (gota change to a bigger tranny oil cooler soon!)

I´never seen the CEL on this truck. I checked it and it works but what the heck must break down that this light comes up:confused:

I also thought about checking the engine with pulling the valve covers but i wasn´t shure if that would end up in a big mess. If i dont spill too much oil by letting the engine run without valve covers i have tor try it this way.

But that´s all made in about two weeks. My customers come first!

BTW EGT is about 600 on the road.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BJS said:
The problems of skips witout a CEL can be difficult to diagnose. I forgot to include information on how I began to diagnose my problem.

Skips w/o a CEL--could that possibly be a cam sensor giving you some warning that it's on its last legs?

Last edited:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
CPS is a possibility although i havent heard of one causing a skip,just hicups and stalling then finally dies.you can run it without the valve covers on.it wont make a huge oil mess everywhere.watch the spouts on the injectors.see if they are all squirting the same amount of oil.if you find one squirting more or less oil than the rest its most likely the one with the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14